Existing Member?

Steps

Hoping for change is not enough

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 19 September 2010 | Views [429]

Hi. Just bear with me for a little bit.

 

I have eczema. For those of you who don’t, you could perhaps boast to be of greater health than I. Contrarily, you will never know the sweet, tingling satisfaction that a few seconds of furious scratching can bring.

 

Nor shall you feel the infuriating and incessant aftershock of this quick fix.

 

I have climbed Mt Kilimanjaro. For those of you who haven’t, your intestinal tracts have probably been denied the unique experience of 5000 metre food poisoning. To others who have stood on the raised fist of Africa, perhaps you have a better perspective of what kind of ‘mountain’ Martin Luther King foresaw.

 

And also have a photograph of a young white man staring down at an entire war-torn, disease-stricken black population.

 

I have donated my time, money and effort to charitable causes. For those of you who won’t, what right do you have to damn the unlucky and unfortunate by harbouring your capitalist earnings, further straining the already frayed chords that are trying to pull humanity together? However, if you have also given yourself to a benefit greater than your own existence, I commend you for your contemporary sacrifice.

 

And wonder if you made a difference, or saw a receipt for the positive change you helped to implement.

 

I have had a relatively comfortable, and at times – ashamedly – lazy, life. For those of you who have not been afforded or blessed, depending of what grasp of ‘divine intervention’ you hold, with such circumstances, I lament your conceivably undeserving situation.

 

But is that where my sincerity ceases?

 

How sorry am I?

 

Sorry enough to trade? For if we are endeavouring towards human equality, would that not simply be seen as breaking even? A life for a life? Neither a profit nor a loss. Just stagnancy.

 

I am not operating under the false pretences that your thoughts have thus far been misguided spectres within your skull, and these words shall inject celeritous organisation into their flight. My flaws are obtuse and to assume a position of superiority on an anonymous majority is arrogance I have not earned.

 

What I am hoping is to incept a few more questions into that chaos in your head, adding to your confusion. Pushing it to the point where you too cannot stand ‘not knowing.’

 

I am pained. I am irritated and I am confused. And I don’t know where to start.

 

If we have a greater purpose, if our lives are inextricably fated or destined to take a course, why do we have instinct? Why are we inherently curious? Why are we continually shocked by the starkness of our species, of the hostility of our leaders, and the brutality of our environment?

 

I want to feel more than I am expected to. I want to know more than I am comfortable knowing. I want to see change happen on my watch. On our watch. I want the uniqueness of our identities, personalities, our relationships to become the only difference between us.

 

I know that there may be far more appropriate forums in which to air my frustrations. But we are the travelers. We are the new-age nomads, moving not where our flock takes us, neither where the climate forces us. I speak to those of you inspired by selfless intrigue and ambassadorial motivations. Those who cross borders hoping to find answers on the other side.

 

To those who are looking for something else.

 

Something more.

Something less.

Something missing.

Something to believe.

 

We are an army of unrivalled proportions. We doggedly hang on to the belief that we missed something important. That humanity’s history doesn’t rest in the ground, in the stars or in turned pages.

 

History is a glorious tapestry, slowly weaved by omnipresent fingers, guided by our decisions and indecisions, our luck – good and bad -, our divinities and mortality. And although it decays faster than we’d like, rotting at a rate that escapes our comprehension, we remember what speaks to us.

 

The marks made by great men and women. The disasters. The mistakes. The triumphs. The unexpected. They echo our fears and hopes. We project ourselves from the light that their memory emanates.

 

Nobody is content to live in shadows and that is why we search. For a way through the darkness, hoping and wishing that our luminous grail does exist.

 

We can be lead to believe that change will come naturally. Marx saw it as inevitable. Obama too. A hopeful chorus echoes far, and fades. Slowly but eventually, engulfed by the wind.

 

But what if the message carries far enough, and that final soft uttering graces the ears of the right person? Someone brave enough, or hurt enough, to realise the abstract. To materialise what we have only sung or dreamt of.

 

I want to be that person. You want to be that person.

 

We all do.

 

And that is how hope becomes change, and change becomes permanent. Not by offloading our ideals on someone we nominate as more worthy or capable, but by searching for the way in which we can marry our cause with our search.

 

You have been told to leave only footprints and take only photos. We are not tourists. Nor are we pedestrians.

 

So. Do you have an idea?

 

 

About robhutch


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.