Existing Member?

Steps

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 1 August 2010 | Views [628] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

My subject matter was inspired by my own curiousity: how deep did Kenya’s beauty go? In a country abundant in beauty, I seemed to only catch glimpses of its darker side through a keyhole. As cynical as that sounds, it just didn’t make sense that a place so seemingly harmonious could have to deal with poverty, disease and famine. So I approached the matter empirically. In my piece, I counter-balance Kenya’s allure with some of the disastrous issues that taint its otherwise serene landscape: corruption, drought and education. The only issues I had to contend with were in the production process. The sites and individuals who appear on camera were very reachable and co-operative, perhaps just as intrigued by me as I was by them. Ignorance often breeds insecurity, xenophobia and other nasty barriers to cultural and social immersion. Documentaries wield a great deal of power: to many, they are far more digestible and accessible than travel. I want to be able to transport complete strangers to places they otherwise wouldn’t have considered, introducing them to people worlds apart. I want to convey the stories, hopes, losses, histories and lifestyles of others. Because with information, a difference can’t be made.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

Comments

1

well done robhutch! looks like you had a life changing "local encounter" - totally deserving of the Amazon opportunity!

  Jimmy Mac Aug 3, 2010 11:48 PM

About robhutch


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.