Existing Member?

Rob and Laura's Big Adventure Flashpacking our way through the world's second least expensive hostels.

Margaret River - part two

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 27 May 2008 | Views [343]

The Gloucester Tree!  The little blob halfway up (30 metres from the ground) is a person.

The Gloucester Tree! The little blob halfway up (30 metres from the ground) is a person.

Another day, another long drive - it's the Jardine way. This time it was to Pemberton to see massive Karri trees and the aptly named Gloucester Tree. The Gloucester Tree is what the loggers used as a fire lookout and its basically a series of pegs about 40 cm wide and 30 cm apart in a ring spiralling up the tree to culminate in a platform. The only thing to stop you falling off is some metal fence wire on the outside edge of the pegs. One more thing; its 61 metres tall.

Its free to climb the Tree so as several people declined I decided I was man enough for the job. I'd also seen a 6/7 year old climb it so I was reassured as to how scary it might be. It started well, I wasn't too worried and got about half way up. At this point I stopped so Laura could take a photo and inspected my surroundings. First thing I saw was a birds nest about 2 m away. Then I saw Laura, or rather, a tiny Laura 30 metres below. So I manfully decided the view probably wasn't that great and went back down.

From Pemberton we headed back, grabbed a pizza and watched the sun set over the Indian Ocean. Lovely until we got back to our cabin to find that the one or two ant explorers had multiplied into a fully fledged ant invasion.

About rob_j


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.