Existing Member?

Back in the saddle

Project : Day 2

INDIA | Tuesday, 21 October 2008 | Views [549]

Beautiful girl

Beautiful girl

I wake up with a very sore throat and chest, and fear I am getting a chest infection. Great. I didn't think to bring any antibiotics, even though every time I get run down...I get a chest infection. I'm also concerned about my voice which is bit croaky, considering I am narrating the documentary! I try not to think about it as the lovely Dillip brings a cup of warm milky tea to my tent which warms my vocal chords. It's 6am.

We start back to the school a little earlier today so we can get work down in the cooler (ahem , when i say 'cooler' i just mean less than 40!) part of the day. I am put back on ceilings...nightmare! My shoulders are already really stiff from yesterday's session , but at least these ceilngs are little smoother and a better height so I don't have to hunch over so much. In the afternoon I am back in the classrooms which is a sweet relief.

It feels hotter today if that is possible and Walter has been up on the roof in the blazing sun for a good part of the day. I am blown away to find out that Walter is 72!! I mean I knew he was relatively senior but 72! Unbelievable! Makes me shut up and not complain about anything for the rest of the trip.

Walter and local friend

The best part of the day is walking back to camp when the sun is setting and the weather finally cools. Girls are collecting water from the wells in their signature bright colours and the village children follow us back home. They want to touch our skin, put on our sunscreen and of course ask for a spare rupee or pen.

The childern are all so beautiful and happy living in this harsh landscpae. Makes me think of my pale, fair-headed Ava, so at odds with this environment. I close my eyes and send her mesage of love.

About roam-if-you-want-to

Me at base camp

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.