Existing Member?

3 Weeks Will Bring

Orientation

THAILAND | Monday, 13 August 2007 | Views [309]

My taxi driver from Chiang Mai airport informed me that second to Bangkok it is the largest city in Thailand. It's not New York in size, but I'm definitely in a city. Crossing the street is a fun frogger like challenge. Where there are cross walks, I press a large button on a poll and in seconds the light changes from red to green. The trick is that it only lasts for 15 seconds and as soon as you pass the cars ignore my green light and just go. The good news is that despite the crazy amount of cars, scooters, tuk tuks, and red trucks (group taxis) no one honks. really. And people appear to notice pedistrians but from what i can tell it's really my job to pay attention to them, and their job to play another video game.

I considered for a second today getting a scooter to join the fun when Krisna, the night manager at my guesthouse, gave me a ride to school--about a three or four mile trek. His orientation to the city was very useful, albeit a little scary as we crossed the Ping river on a narrow sidewalk and he stopped looking at the road and gestured wildely with one arm the beautiful view on both sides. Right before that he told me that he likes to race bikes and showed me the very large scar on his arm. After that I decided to stick with my original plan to rent a bicycle.

Krisna has been a great help in the last 24 hours. When I arrived last night I wanted to eat and planned to check out the vendors across from the guesthouse. Instead he asked me if I eat meat, and when I said I eat anything he walked me around the corner to another spot. He ordered for me and told me to sit at the table and how much it would cost and then returned to his post at Mountain View. I was the only foreigner and the food was great. I had some soupy noodle, pork dish with these small egg like chewy things. I will get more aquainted with what I've been eating a report back. It's all been good, and what costs $8-14 at my favorite thai place in queens is under a $1 here.

Tonight I visted the vendors for dinner. There are about 12 vendors set up along a busy road and lots of chairs and tables. I spotted a dish that looked good and hoped that the menu was in english, but it wasn't. Easy enough to point out what I wanted though. Another pork dish, but this time with rice and chinese broccoli. I think. And a side broth.

More stories later. I am getting up at 5:45a to begin my yoga routine before class. I'll tell you about the Thai Massage too. It's me, two french people, and a Spaniard.

Thanks for reading!

xor

Tags: Food & eating

About rk


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.