Existing Member?

The adventures of Putaro Follow me and my beautiful travel companion around Asia where we attempt to find nothing, but enjoy ourselves all the while

Touchdown Lao

LAOS | Monday, 30 July 2007 | Views [719]

I generally don't mind flying, but turbulence and wobbles definitely take a toll on my nerves. So yesterday, when boarding a relatively small Lao bound prop-plane all I could think about was sleeping pills...Or my lack there of.  Take off....wobble..strange noise..laughter..a lound noise..I can see the propeller..If the window could open I think I could touch it. Ouch that would hurt!!!!I'm sweating so much I can almost hear it streaming down my face.  I decide to laugh, because there isn't much else to do.  I try to focus on reading my book (The Adventures of Kavlier and Clay- excellent by the way)and fortunately I'm able to.  Mizuki had a good laugh at me, and all and the all the flight was great, a success.  Limited wobbling and dips; although a bit of a hard landing, but Lao Airlines now has my confidence. I give them.......uhhh...two thumbs up!

Descending into Luang Prabang, I really got the impression I was landing in a special place. At eye level, the sun was lingering behind protuding limestone peaks, showing just enought of itself to reflect the mountain images onto the mighty Mekong directly below. The Mekong itself appearing as a tremendously wide, brown, curving mountain road -  sharply contrasting the infinite green surrounding it. It was awesome!

After getting off the plane, I paid my $36 bucks to officially enter Laos and so far well worth it.  Luang Prabang is spectacular!!!!  UNESCOed out with temples- it's laid back, QUIET atmosphere is surreal after Hanoi,Ho Chi Minh, and Bangkok.  There are certainly a fair amount of tourists here, but seemingly there is an unspoken respect for quiet here like no other place in S.E. Asia; that I have visited that is. Right now I'm just thinking I wish I had more time to spend here.   

Tags: Laughter

About rjallen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.