Existing Member?

Travel Quarter

Inca Cities of Gold...

PERU | Sunday, 31 October 2010 | Views [461] | Comments [1]

Flying into Cusco and making it to the Pariwana Hostel was pretty straight forward.  An old nobles house with a central square and all the rooms on the first floor looking in on the internal garden.  I had been put in with 5 israeli guys, who were all built like brick shit houses and snored like generals.  I decided that trying to turn them in the middle of the night might not have gone down so well - I ´ve seen spooks and the israelis you dont want to mess with.  Afterall they are all  military trained.

Slowly adjusting to spending so much time alone - very strange to spend a whole day without speaking to anyone sometimes.  Althought its making me realise how lucky i am back home, and forcing me to make more of an effort here. 

So, have spent my first few days here adjusting to the alitutde sickness which has knocked me out a bit.  But heading out into Cusco i was welcomed by the sight of a huge rainbow flag beckoning me in the main square.  Ahhh how pleasent, after spending all my time so far as an assumed straight man, it was nice to see a little bit of gay permeating the andes.  Until i realised that the rainbow flag is the flag of the incas - either way, i suddently feel a bond now that we share a flag.  Spending the last two days in the day wondering the streets in awe of this city in the sky, and the architecture.  As well as the local traditionally dressed peruvian selling their wares at the price of a starbucks coffee.  I secummed to a charcoal sketch, not sure how i will get that home!  Have spent two nights with some brits, aussies, tasmanians and chillians - one night out eating guinea pig.  Hhhmmmm.  The second in the hostel at a smal scale BBQ before halloween party tonight.  Joined today by two brits from Brighton who seem pretty cool, even after an 18hr bus journey where they broke down twice! 

And for those who may visit Peru in teh future, you´ll be glad to know that the slang for gay here is Brocoli!  I discovered this on receiving a one sided guide to slang in Peru.  I would also advise you check out the Lonely Planet Guide phrasebook, which has two pages to dealing with relationships.  Starting with "éasy tiger", through to "I´ll finish off myself" to "I dont think this is working out".  Tres modern!

Rafting tomorrow for 3 days so will update after that.  Adios! xx

Comments

1

HAHAHA.... Great summary Mr lee... But this happened because u didnt use the cd i gave you enough times!!! hahahah .... You´re good in spanish anyway, so its a good chance to practice and dont feel "alone" whole day ;)

  Cesar Nov 3, 2010 9:25 PM

About richardlee


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.