Existing Member?

Something...Adventures...

Finally Here!

MOROCCO | Tuesday, 1 March 2011 | Views [480] | Comments [3]

Well, I'm here in Fes, safe and sound. The trip wasn't without its hurdles, but as far as hurdles go, these were pretty standard and tame. Just delayed flights and slow customs. Rather than arriving in Casablanca at 4pm the way I had planned, I ended up getting in at 9pm, which meant finding a taxi and my hotel (which was in the medina - the old part of the city with no road signs) in the dark. This was definitely worriesome for me. I did not want to be wandering around, weighed down with bags, hoping to find a hotel in the middle of the night.

However, this was when the good part of the trip began. As I was walking out of the airport, I found a taxi right away. He knew exactly where my hotel was, and he spoke english! We talked on the way there, and then he parked his car and walked me right to the hotel, making sure my reservation worked before leaving.

Help has been everywhere on this trip so far. When I talked to people before heading out and told them I was going alone, the first question/concern voiced was always worries about being isolated and alone. However, in my previous travels (and this trip is proving to be no different), I find that it is exactly the opposite. When you travel alone, that is when you are forced to find conections and be resourceful.

The next morning, I was eating breakfast and another lone traveler ate with me. He was a retired Frenchman who had just bought some property here with his wife. He had to meet her at the train station at the same time I was leaving for Fes, so we shared a cab fare.

On the train, I then met a man who's aunt owns a boarding house in Fes. I didn't end up taking the offer, as her house was a cab ride away from my school rather than within walking distance, but regardless, he gave me his number and, in true hospitable Moroccan fashion, offered to help me with anything while I'm here. One thing after another has just worked. I am not alone. Someone is taking care of me, and I am very grateful for that. :-)

That's not to say that everything is perfect. I am definitely still a stranger here, though a welcomed one. However, there are still the cat calls and begging children that shout obscenities from a distance when I don't give them money. Per my new friend's advice, I have discovered how helpful a good pair of sunglasses are. Not for the sun, but in order to avoid making eye contact. It just invites less attention. I don't blame people for being interested. I am without a doubt an oddity here. But there has been nothing that has ever made me worry for my safety, so no one worry please! :-)

On to other news, I had my first day of school today, which went very smoothly. I have studied a bit of Arabic on my own, so am probably about 2 weeks ahead of the class, but it is acclerated, so that lead is going to shrink fast. There are only 4 people in the class (including me). 3 Americans and 1 Belgian. We worked on beginning to memorize the letters of the alphabet today, and I am, at this point, feeling optimistic. Mind you, in 2 weeks, this may not still be the case, but we will keep our fingers crossed. ;-).

I have decided to stay in the residence at the school. There are other students staying there, the internet is reliable, they have a computer lab open 24 hrs a day to practice the homework, and it is in a very safe part of town. I will be moving in there tomorrow, and it is going to be so nice to unpack my bags! Since I have been moving from hotel to hotel the past few nights I have been living out of my overnight bag rather than deal with the hassle of getting into my big (and very carefully and tightly packed) bag. It's time for laundry and a change of clothes.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I hope everything is well with everyone, and I'll post again soon. Hopefully with pictures of my new home! :-)

 

Comments

1

I am so glad you enjoyed your first day of school! It must be exciting and nerve-wracking to only have four people in your class! At least you'll get a lot of individualized attention and really have the language down by the time you finish!

It's funny to read and hear of your stories of meeting new people, considering how untrusting we are here in the states. But I guess that's one of the coolest things about traveling to another country and experiencing other cultures.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to avert your eyes from the children who want money. I know you've heard my lovely stories from encounters with homeless people here; is this the same kind of situation? I just know how hard it is to tell someone else that you barely have enough for yourself, much less enough to give out. I guess it must be more difficult because they know you're a traveler, which equals money! I don't know why I'm talking about this so much......

I'm really glad that you chose to stay at the school. Aside from the safety of it, I think it will be nice to have an ultimate home base to work from. And you won't have to worry about traveling back and forth from your stay and school!

Can't wait to talk to you again!

  Rachel Mar 1, 2011 10:00 AM

2

Ya, I thought having only 4 in the class would make me nervous, but actually, the teachers are super friendly, and so it's actually really nice. I think we're definitely gonna be pretty close by the end of this thing, which is nice. Good travel buddies. :-)

As far as the kids go, it is difficult because there is no way to pretend you don't have any money. They know that as a tourist you are probably walking around with way more than you actually need, and I'm sure that many an American tourist has caved. However, once you give them a little, they just ask for more, so it's sort of a downward spiral best not started sadly.

Anyway, I will talk to you later and fill you in about the school and stuff in detail. :-)

  rhynardm Mar 1, 2011 10:28 PM

3

I'm going to force you to comment on this blog, mostly because it's a lot of fun!

You know, I'm thinking what a wonderful opportunity you have to make life-long friends in this class. If there are only four of you spending twenty hours a week together, I can only imagine how close you all will become. Don't be afraid to open up!

  Rachel Mar 2, 2011 3:14 AM

About rhynardm


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.