Existing Member?

Higher....

Tocllaraju

PERU | Wednesday, 30 July 2008 | Views [475]

I should have known not to climb with people that I don´t know, who are from a country that has nothing but a moderate incline with a peak elevation of 200m.  Since Nick needed a couple days of acclimitization at BC, I hitched up with a couple of Brits to see if they would be interested in letting a little American climb Toc with them.  They immediately questioned my climbing abilities... it was I who should have questioned their climbing abilities, never seeing cascade ice in their lives.  We made a high camp around five thousand meters and left the next "morning" at one right as a storm had cleared out leaving six fresh inches of snow.  We were cruising over the glacier and everything seemed peachy until we reached the one pitch of AI 2+ to gain the ridge.  After I led to the summit ridge, only 200m below the top, the Brits were unable to second my lead after two hours of bickering.  I even fixed a line for them to prusik but they still couldn´t figure out a concept nick and I like to call the French Free Technique (Jeff Davies Inspired).  This was the exact same spot I had to turn back on last year and Toc and I are becoming pretty good friends at this point, maybe in a few more weeks we´ll have another date.  The Brits left the next day and gave me all their snow stakes, I´m not sure if it was because they were leaving or because they knew they would never climb anything that needed them!

About reilly


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.