Existing Member?

An almost lost memory

A stone from Ohrid

MOLDOVA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [350]

While on a trip, we always collect moments and memories. In Ohrid, I collected a couple of stones from Lake Ohrid. These are the kind of souvenirs that bring me back to a place and time I have once visited. I still have the small stones which I keep collected with other minerals from different places. They all have their particular touch and smell. The stone from Ohrid smells of sweet burned hop that reminds me of the warm air that surrounds you there in the summer.  I’m not a big fan of beer, but, when going to a new place, that is something one has to try out, as it contains the water of that specific place. The water in Ohrid is sweet and clear as the morning dew, and in the morning you would start exploring the town.  Ohrid is a small town situated on the edge of the great Lake Ohrid. It has three level traditional houses and narrow streets that are throughoutly paved. The town itself is as small as a precious jewel that one can hide into their pockets. It is about a 15 minute walk from one end to the other through winding streets that interconnect with each other at core intersections.  I was there on an architecture summer school, where our aim was to revive the town. I realized that the only thing needed is a word of mouth about the beauty of it. It is small and cozy, and you can always stumble upon little spots where you would feel like a discoverer of intimate natural places. From the high places, that are situated on the mountain, you would see, between branches of tired trees, the lake down the cliffs. From the lower places, where the buildings are built, while walking, you would find yourself in front of a really small church that would almost tell you that this is a place where one would find peace with oneself, by praying to the nature. Ohrid is also locally famous for the handmade paper they produce, the leather and the carved wood. The amount of work that is being put into the production of these artifacts is admirable, as one would understand that it is only in such a peaceful place that an artist could have the patience to make these intricate objects. As a discoverer, you would find the local shops that sell these products on unsuspected streets that would require the knowledge of a local to be found. You can become a local in a couple of days in Ohrid. The smallness of the town and openness of the veteran locals easily allows you to become one. In a matter of days, you would see familiar faces on the narrow streets, greeting you and asking you if you want to join them for lunch. And, while on vacation, you can have a sip of local beer for lunch, which gives you appetite to eat the locally made fish. And after a long morning, exploring the little jewel and having the sparkling drink, you would find yourself wanting to bathe in the clear water of Lake Ohrid, which cools your body from the tormenting heat of the summer sun.I’m not a big fan of beer, but, when going to a new place, that is something one has to try out, as it contains the waters of that specific place, which makes the drink different. The difference also lies in the production process and the additional ingredients that they use, but the most important ingredient that makes the difference, is the water.

Tags: lake, ohrid, paved, street, summer

 

About rediscovermk


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Moldova

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.