Existing Member?

An almost lost memory

Sisters in the sea

UKRAINE | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

I woke up on a beach in Odessa under the hot sun rays sometime in July 2009. Cristina was next to me looking at her coffee that was already filled with sand. What we were looking for, when we got to that beach was to see the sunrise from that part of the world. We're big lovers of this kind of spectacle. We got to that beach when the light was still dim and no sun could be seen. We couldn't afford paying for a day in a room in which we wouldn't have even stayed, so headed to a hospitable place. It was really quiet at that time and our only neighbor was some drunkard who was probably lying on the sand for already a couple of hours. He was drowsing with a satisfied face, looking like a dolphin who got out of the water wishing for his legs to appear. When the beach bar opened, we got a coffee and sat on the cold sand. We were really tired from the trip to the city, where we both had to sleep on a 'cushetka' that was meant only for one slim person. I fell a couple of times from it, and needed to rest my bones. The beach wasn't as hospitable as expected. It soon started raining and our coffee was mixed with water drops. The drink wasn't too good before, now it was just impossible, cold and diluted as it was. We were still hoping for the sun to rise, but the next thing I remember was waking up next to her, no sunrise, no coffee and all wet from the rain. It was still good, I had a happy feeling the sun was going to watch after us for the whole day, so got undressed and plunged into the sea. Soon after, Cristina followed and we were one with the sea. The sun was still above us.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About rediscovermk


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ukraine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.