Existing Member?

My Travel Journal

Cooking and the rain came tumbling down - 14th May 2009

THAILAND | Friday, 15 May 2009 | Views [705]

Thursday 14th May

My final day of cookery school. There were a few more in the class today, a couple of candadians, south americans and some dutch (who didn't talk to anyone and just smoked cigarettes at every available opportunity!)

Today we cooked,

-Thai Hot and Sour Prawn Soup - Wow this was fantastic! I am loving making things myself so I can make them spicy but not blow the roof of your mouth off and I can enjoy them!!

- Thai Style Fish Cakes - So easy to make - you guys are definitely getting some of these!!

- Green Curry with Chicken - Not a fav, too sweet for me really.

- Thai Fried Noodles - Phad Thai! Need I say more? Stupidly good fast food.

- Minced Chicken Northern Style

- Desert - Water Chestnuts with Sugar Syrup and Coconut Milk. These were a little weird but nice enough.

Wow - I've learnt so much over the last 5 days I can't believe it! I loved nearly every minute of it. I have to say the staff at the school are brilliant. Very patient and very knowledgeable about adapting to ingredients we can get at home and, in my case, how to make spicy but not too much. Aom in particular was great.

After the Thai cookery school I got back to the hostel and started to think about what to do next. Many of you know I was planning to go to the Spa for 8 days but somehow it doesn't feel like the right thing to do. After talking to so so so many people about all the places they've been and are going I decided that I want to get on with - and I really don't have that much time so I decide that I will go to Chiang Rai tomorrow, spend a few days there, maybe do a trek before I cross into Laos maybe on Monday?

Yeah - I feel like a proper traveller now!!

I went to get some dinner locally as it just wouldn't stop raining really hard. Lots and lots of bugs came out to play! Just one thing to note, Thais love Whiskey! In the restaurant where I had a snack dinner last night, the table next to me had ordered a bottle of Glenmorangie, fairly decent Scotch I think and they were drinking it with Coke? Is that normal?

Anyway got an early night and started on some of the planning I need to do.

love to all x

About rebecca_fardoe


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.