Existing Member?

My Travel Journal

Khao San and Hugh Jackman with Thai Subtitles - 6th/7th May

THAILAND | Friday, 8 May 2009 | Views [663]

The hotel serves an organic vegetarian breakfast included in the price! On Wednesday this was spring rolls, Som Tam salad and Mango Sticky rice - it was fantastic. Can't wait to learn how to make all this stuff myself and feed it all to you guys when I get home!

Am already wishing I had slightly less time in Bangkok, the heat and humidity are a bit of a shock to the system as well as the mosquitoes. So with not much really planned for the next couple of days decided to try and chill out! I have been to Bangkok before about 5 years ago so I have seen some of the sights, Wat Po, Grand Palace and Jim Thompsons house etc. Just in case you were wondering.

First stop Thai massage. 180B for an hour. It was fantastic albeit quite painful!!

Was then on a roll so had a facial - pretty sure some of the techniques employed on my face would be illegal in the UK. Burning my face off then hoovering up the skin then something indescribable with a sharp implement to poke about in my pores! I definitely deserved a beer after that.

Wandered around for a bit, Khao San area is so busy and very tacky!

Had dinner at this really nice vegetarian restaurant closer to the hotel called May Kaidees - i think they also have a cookery school. Had my first full nights sleep in ages!

On Thursday after breakfast I caught the river express boat south to Central pier which connects with the Skytrain. The Skytrain is an airconditioned heaven above Bangkok! I went to Siam, where predictably there is quite a lot of shopping. After some lunch and aimless window shopping I decided to go to the cinema. Went to see Wolverine! Hugh Jackman is a gorgeous man in any language! (Film was still in English but with Thai Subtitles!) The cinema was totally immaculate and the only other noteworthy difference was that they play what I assume was the national anthem and everyone in the cinema has to stand up.

Got back to the hotel and had a quick beer and sprayed a lot of insect repellent. Then I headed back to the Khao San Road to grab a quick dinner. Its hard to explain but its a bit like a cross between the Stag and Hen party street you get in every city but the people are slightly less urgent, more mellow. A bit more like a permanent freshers week for all ages!

Looking forward to getting out of Bangkok tomorrow x

Tags: city

About rebecca_fardoe


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.