Existing Member?

wanderlust

Back to Cusco

PERU | Sunday, 29 June 2008 | Views [462] | Comments [1]

Maria and I with Barbie!

Maria and I with Barbie!

Cusco was like a different place when we arrived back - the Inti Raymi (festival of the winter solstice) was over and the town was a lot less crazy.  Enjoyed a long hot shower and some good food before falling into bed exhausted....

I finally did a city tour and actually got to see some of Cusco!  Thus far I'd just seen cafes and shops!  Maria and I did the tour together and visited a number of significant sites (Qorikancha - temple of the sun, Saqsaywaman, Q'enqo, Pukapukara & Tambomachay).  The Pervian's see llama's and puma's in everything!!!! Apparently there is a llama in the milky way!!!  And at Q'enqo there is a rock that for five minutes on one day of the year the sun hits it at a specific angle and the shadow it casts apparently looks like a puma sitting up (I think you also have to stand on your head, squint and be high on coca leaves...).

Having actually seen some of Cusco it was time to party!!  There was a big party being thrown by one of Cusco's famous drag queen's - Barbie.  After downing some wine we (Maria, Dan, Ed & I) headed to the party and kept drinking.  Was loving the dj and Maria and I danced up a storm.... Made me miss my boys and connies (did someone say club west??).  After a bit we headed to another club and stayed out rather late....

Needless to say when we met for brunch we were all a bit hung over and not feeling so great!!!

Then it was time to say a very sad goodbye to Maria, Dan and Ed (Rhoda, Chris, Jocelyn and Sho had stayed on for an extra night in Machu Picchu so already had our goodbyes)....and then goodbye to Cusco and my hostal (the staff there were just wonderful!)...

Off to Buenos Aires where Mauro (from my Galapagos tour) is waiting to pick me up, give me a city tour, have breakfast and 'be my personal guide' while I'm in BA!!!

Comments

1

Hi Rach,

Just read your posts on your trek & back at Cusco. Wow!!

How is your knee? I hope it's getting better. But I guess if you danced up a storm at the night clubs it can't be to bad. Try to get some rest in BA so you aren't a complete wreck when you arrive back home.

Love Dad & Mum

  Dad Jun 29, 2008 10:07 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.