Existing Member?

Aussie Life to the Max

Flinders, Eyre Penninsula and Nullarbor

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 8 May 2013 | Views [617] | Comments [1]

Right, now we are back where we can get some internet. To update, we left Adelaide and headed north to the Flinders. Had a great ride on good roads. The country started out nice and green near Adelaide getting drier the further north we went. Time we got to the camp grounds at Wilpena Pound we had passed through some rugged and dessicated country. After setting up it was to late to explore so just had a walk around the campsite connecting with other campers and the few others on bikes.

Next day was for exploring we thought the 3.2 km walk to the Pound would be not to challenging, problem was, that was just to the old homestead site. Signs then indicated a 400m walk to the lookout, so we did that then the signs informed us it was the lower lookout and it was another 400m to the upper lookout. I think that 800 meter walk/climb was about 10kms strait up, but I made it. So our easy grade walk turned into an 8km epic trek. That afternoon we went on an easier exploration, dropping the trailers and jumping on the bikes, we went as far north as we could go on the bitumen, the gravel roads were to rough for our street machines. Dave had a close encounter of the Emu kind a bit of luck and skillful riding got him out of trouble. I've lost all respect for the thinking power of those stupid birds. Wouldn't have been so bad except there were about 7 million of them in the 60kms to Blinman.

As interesting as the Flinders were we needed to move on, 10 weeks is only giving us enough time for highlights, it is likely I will come back here at a later date. We headed west and south to Port Augusta and the Eyre Penninsula. A 500 km ride took us to Port Lincoln where we spent the night and were able to arrange new tyres for the trailers. We hit our first unpleasent weather on this stretch but the showers were brief and caused no real problems.

After the tyres were fitted we headed north up the west side of the pennisula and got our first views of the Bight. We took brief stops in Venus Bay, Elliston and Streaky Bay. Hope you enjoy the Photos. We continued to Ceduna where we spent the night and stocked up for the crossing of the Nullarbor.

Tonight (Wednesday) we are in Norseman having crossed the Nullarbor in two days of driving 1200 kms. It is pouring rain ATM we were lucky to get here and find a cabin before the storm got here. The Nullarbor was both as spectaculor as has been described and as boring. Great semi arid scenery, spectacular cliffs on the few spots you could safely approach, but Km after Km of ... more Kms. Including the most boring stretch of road in Australia, 145.6 km's without a bend, a bikers worst nightmare. Never-the-less it was not an adventure I would trade. We did it, we crossed the Nullaebor.

Comments

1

Sounds like ya having a blast

  Michael Simmons May 11, 2013 5:37 PM

About r_d_touring


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.