Existing Member?

My travels

Delhi: Our last in India

INDIA | Wednesday, 8 April 2009 | Views [342]

After a super early start at 3.30 am after not a lot of sleep, we got on the train to Delhi at 5.30 and crashed out until we arrived at 12 noon. Stepping out of Old Delhi train station we were bombarded by tuc tuc drivers quoting ridiculous prices for a tuc tuc to our hotel. After some pushing and haggling we managed to get a tuc tuc for a half decent price (still was expensive) the tuc tuc driver was claiming it was 10 km when in reality according to our map it was approximately 3 km. We finally agreed a price and got in the tuc tuc, and well, india had been saving the best until last. This was our worst tuc tuc journey yet. It took almost 1 hour in stinking traffic in the tiny streets of old delhi that were crammed with shops and their produce on the street, parked cars and motorbikes, cycle ricksaws full of bricks and other goods being pushed by men, tuc tucs, taxis and larger trucks. And in every conceivable space in between were pedestrians literally squeezing between vehicles or holding up their hands in supplication and they dived in the traffic attempting to cross the road. There was so much noise and we were so tired from our long trip of 2 months that when we got to the hotel we just hid inside all day long.

 

About qui001


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.