Existing Member?

My travels

Kunyakumari

INDIA | Sunday, 22 February 2009 | Views [474] | Comments [1]

After a 2 day trip by bus train, car and foot all around the south of Tamil Nadu crossing several towns and managing with the Indian administration to take the train we finaly arrived in Kunyakumari the most southerly town of India. That was our first long trip train journey which we found very enjoyable but it’s not going to be the last one.

The hotel we found quite nice except we found new friends in the room: cockroach. Marc discovered that although Jacquie doesn’t mind snakes, spiders and scorpion but SHE DOES NOT LIKE COCKROACHES!! Especially flying ones with huge large wings hihi!!! The next morning we discovered that the hotel had a really nice view from the roof.

In the morning we join the 1 000 000 Indian tourists in the queue for the ferry to see the Vivekananda memorial and the statue of Thiruvalluvar (a famous Tamil poete, this is the Indian statue of liberty :D ) on the Island just off the coast of the town. to get the ticket, to go to the memorial island and the statue it took us 4hours …

We wanted to organise the following part of the trip we needed to go to an internet caffe but the entire town was out of power J, so we decieded to go up a tower because Marc wanted to film the sun set from the top of a look out tower. he started to film then after half a hour the 1 000 000 people who were queuing for the boat were running buy a ticket to go on the top of the look out tower and walk straight front the camera … All around the look tower they were the rest of the people who were to late to climb on the tower to see the see the sun set.

Since this town is the most southerly place in India, it is a unique place to see sunset and sunrise over three oceans. We decided to brave an early start (5.30 am) the next day in order to watch sunrise from the roof of the hotel. When we awoke at 5.30 am the local temples were already blaring traditional music very loudly and the town was full of life. The higher the sun rose, the more people joined us on the rooftops of nearby hotels. We were not alone (again).

Whatever you do in India, be sure that 500 other people will be doing be doing it with you.

Comments

1

romantic day!
i dream i should be little mousse in your pocket!
we want photos!!

keep care

margot

  margot Feb 27, 2009 12:42 AM

About qui001


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.