Existing Member?

For Your Vicariousness

I love Basel

SWITZERLAND | Thursday, 8 May 2008 | Views [654] | Comments [3]

I guess I should update... I would rather with pictures, but I can't get them on-line just yet.

Basel is wonderful.  But it's more a place to live, than to visit.  I'm not really into going to a whole lot of museums (or paying for them)... and I don't want to do too many too early in the trip, either, so there's not a whole lot to do (tho, I might hit up a few of the free ones tomorrow... yay, budget travel!).  But it's just a pleasant city to walk around.  And the public transportation is super-fantastic... especially since it's free when you stay at any hotel in Basel (i think).

I don't know how to explain it, but there is a reason that people don't move out of Switzerland.  Why would you?  I wouldn't mind living here for a little while (meaning year or less..,).  It's also great, b/c it's right in the middle of Europe, so it's all accessible!

It's also a very casual city... people are walking everywhere, jumping on the trams and buses, and just hanging out on the "shore" of the Rhein.  It doesn't hurt that the weather has been absolutely perfect as well.

I went to the Tinguely Museum the other day.  It's very... different.  Sort of interactive.  I took some pictures and videos, so hopefully y'all will sory of understand.   http://www.tinguely.ch/en/index.html

I'm liking the hostel, here... it's very clean and modern, and the free internet is awesome, especialy since I'm on it when no one else wants to use it so i can sit here for a while and try to figure out where I'm going next.

Speaking of which, I'm not certain, but I think I'm heading to Berlin tomorrow night (to get there Saturday morning).  One good way of getting out of paying for lodging for a night... woot!

Anyway, I've mostly been walking around (and being a bit lonely, but that comes with the lifestyle, so I'll get over it), and trying to pretend that I'm not a tourist.  LOL.

I'll probably won't update again till I get back to Jeni's next week... might have to pay for internets in future hostels (yuck).

Tags: basel, switzerland, tinguely

Comments

1

Switzerland and Sweden have always sounded wonderful. Took the virtual tour of the Museum -- hmmm.. strange.
Have fun in Berlin.

  Mum May 9, 2008 6:42 AM

2

Yes! You finally wrote! I was getting worried. I would like to go to Switzerland sometime. I have to say I don't know anything about it though, except I keep hearing that it's really clean... which is why I want to go there. :P

  Jeni May 9, 2008 8:51 PM

3

Yeah, i thought you might, Jeni. There are parts that the main language is French, so that'll be good for you. =)

  queenofbums May 9, 2008 9:17 PM

About queenofbums


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.