Existing Member?

europe 2013 A where we can, when we can, account of our self drive trip around Ireland-Britain-France

Mont-Saint-Michel

FRANCE | Thursday, 3 October 2013 | Views [269] | Comments [2]

A late start today.  Breakfast wasn't available until after 8.30am and after chatting with the French Canadians, who are also staying here, it was probably 10am before we got away.  We went straight to St Malo and collected our train tickets to Paris, checked in with Europcar to ensure we could drop our car off at St Malo and not Dinard as previously arranged, and booked tomorrow nights accommodation at a hotel across the road from the train station.  So everything is now booked and we're ready for our last few days in Europe.

From there it was along the coast to Cancale and then on to Le-Mont-St-Michel the Abbey/Monastry on a small island in the sea.  Accessed by a permanent causeway, currently being replaced.  It has a history dating back to 708 and was built and added on to over the following ten centuries.  I took lots of photos to the point my battery went flat.  I hope I don't bore you silly but I'm finding it hard to choose between them, so there'll be a few, which will hopefully give a good overview of the place:-) 

 

 

Comments

1

Absolutely understand why you took so many photos of Mont-Saint-Michel. Amazing place. Makes our history look pathetic. Hope that the train trip goes well and your time in Paree. The trees are my favourite though. Better than all the tractors!!

  Dave and Judy Oct 4, 2013 1:12 PM

2

Yes truly amazing and probably the highlight of our trip. Unfortunately some of the more interesting areas were too dark for my tablet camera. A good time of year to visit also. Going by the size of the carpark I imagine it would be elbow room only in the peak season. Even so, quite a few bus loads of tourists while we were there.

  quando Oct 4, 2013 4:15 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.