Existing Member?

europe 2013 A where we can, when we can, account of our self drive trip around Ireland-Britain-France

Gouarec - Douarnenez

FRANCE | Saturday, 28 September 2013 | Views [434]

Yesterday was a bit of a lazy day in Pontivy, so we both decided to take the opportunity to get our hair cut.  24€ each for wash, cut and dry.  We both came away happy with our new do's:-) 

On our last night in Gouarec we decided to shout ourselves a meal out.  We'd heard the town gets a bit livelier at the end of the week.  So we put on our glad rags and "hit the town".    We had decided the pizzaria, just across the road from the Ducs, would be a good place to go.  We arrived just before seven and apart from a couple with a young child in the corner, we were the only one's there.

We sat down and were in the throes of putting in our order when a van parked nearby and a couple I recognised got out.  The Australians, Douwe  (No I haven't spelt his name wrong it's Dutch) and Mary, whom we had met at the Forges de Salles Chateau, with their English hosts,  Dave and Wendy, and their dog.  So, they sat at the table next to ours and we chatted over our meals, swapped email addresses etc, so, if anyone is interested I now have the details of the £500/month gite.  It is only one bedroom, but sleeps 2-4. Don't ask me how that works?  Sounds cosy!!  Laughs aside it is very neat and tidy, appears to have everything you will need including English TV if you feel a need to keep up with the news.  It's all been recently renovated, although Douwe liked to joke that it was once the pigsty back in it's beginnings in the 1700's. And Janice and I, despite going to a Pizzaria, ended up ordering a pasta dish each!  Very nice and filling.  

The pizzaria did get few more customers as we sat there, but I wouldn't have called it  lively.  A lot of cars went past. Probably more than we've seen all week. So maybe there's a secret part to this town we don't know about. 

We have ended up in the sea side town of Douarnenez, and have booked in for the night  at a quiet hotel not far from the water front.  The plan is to get out for a walk around the town.  Some of these bigger towns, with their winding streets and alley ways, don't seem to have an obvious centre of shops and cafes.  So there's a bit of exploring to be done.  You never know what you'll find round the next corner.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.