Existing Member?

europe 2013 A where we can, when we can, account of our self drive trip around Ireland-Britain-France

Bike ride to Padstow

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 12 September 2013 | Views [160]

Mizzle, the misty Cornish drizzle that we woke up to this morning.  Not enough to keep us off the bikes.  In fact perfect biking weather. 

The trip to Padstow along the Camel trail was only 10-11 miles return.  Lindsay on a trike, Janice and me on our "Harleys".  A flat leisurely ride in time for lunch at Padstow.  I was expecting a quiet seaside village.  Instead a quaint but crowded town full of tourists by the bus load.  Also the English and their dogs were out en masse. Thank goodness we were on the bikes.  We would have had "fun" finding a car park.

Lindsay said we had to have a Cornish pasty while in Cornwall.  Originally the pasties were made by the miners wifes for their husbands to take down into the mines for lunch.  Savoury one end and sweet the other. A knob at one end with which to hold it with grubby hands.  Apparently, depending on which end the knob is, you can tell if the person who made it is left or right handed.  

Padstow has earned the nickname Padstein because of the number of businesses Rick Stein, the celebrity chef owns in town.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.