Existing Member?

squat or what

Essouirra to Marrakech

MOROCCO | Saturday, 17 October 2009 | Views [600]

This will be another slow process with an arabic keyboard!  We were on our way to Essaouira and stopped at a huge supermarket- anyone would have thought we had never seen one before- it was a novelty after the rural scene, icecreams etc were enjoyed- beautiful meats for sale and all the fresh spices. As we approached Essaouira our bus driver spotted a goat in a tree- this area is famed for this so another photo stop,they climb up and eat the argan nuts. Arrived in our seaside town to a sea fog that lingered on and off for the 2 days unforunately. Had a guided walk organised in the morning around the ramparts where Orson Wells filmed Othello many years ago- more souks (markets) In a leather place and talking to the dreadlocked seller who offered to give Mike 3 leather belts for me! We can make beautiful children he said, I make you very happy....Anyway we bought 2 of his belts and Mike still has me!

Next morning we had a camel ride down the beach for an hour.

This is the cat kingdom apparently- on all our travels cats are everywhere, under tables, asleep on the footpaths, just everywhere- took a pic (among many) of a cat asleep in a ceramic bowl in the market just like in one of our recipe books. Lots and lots of European tourists in Essouira.And not so much mint tea.   Local buskers looked/played like a Chaser act- well worth the tip for the comedy! 

Our bus/driver ended in this town and we continue by large coach for 3 hours to Marrakesh. Arrived on dark, and massive amounts of traffic. Most western infuences so far- lots of women on scooters in their long robes and head gear- no one wears a helmet. It really is a challenge to cross the roads on foot. Had dinner in the main square Jamaa El Fna (Place of the Dead)- not sure if we would hqve eaten here on our own (pleased we had Hep A etc) but everyone has survived! Food tasted good actually- quite an experience. Saw the various entertainers and crowds and crowds of tourists and locals just milling about. Our hotel is flash tonight- it has a lift! Beautiful tiled swimming pool just inside main foyer. Temps have been over 40 but very  dry heat- lots of fluid goes in, but not a lot comes out. Went to the souks again - managed to get lost until a local wanted to show us the synagogue (there are a few jews here as well) anyway we eventually found daylight again. Lots of donkeys and motorscooters inside these souks-very interesting and challenging.Saw the snake charmers,monkeys, henna ladies, take a photo, take a photo they call and then ask for 100 dirham!!! you quickly walk away. Took a horse and carriage ride to Marjorelle Jardin , the garden Yves St Laurent donated to the city- a very peaceful and green respite in the city- Marrakesh buildings- old and new- are all one colour of terracotta/red as are the old city walls - adds to the heat somewhat- nothing much over about 6 storeys high. The Mosques call to prayer 5 times a day- one will start and then the next and so on. We took the red bus hop on hop off yesterday to get our bearings.  Had our final breakfast this morning with the tour group who have all been fantastic- swapped numbers etc. altho some of us will be on the same flight to Dubai on Sunday.  Pity it is all coming to an end.  Our tour leader Tadas who is from Lithuania and altho at the start he declared he had only been in Morocco 4 days and we were his first tour here; altho he has worked for Intrepid for 4 years, we have had a wondeful time and all good experiences.

  

About pudding513


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.