Existing Member?

RTW in 90 days

Rajasthan - Udaipur

INDIA | Sunday, 9 November 2008 | Views [893]

Udaipur is a really beautiful city - so green and with appx 30 lakes in and around the city. We stayed at the Amet Haveli Hotel which has the best view of the city, lakes and palaces. City Palace was fantastic and so beautiful. It is huge and still in very good condition. My favorite part was the views from it as well as the Peacock palace with several huge enamelled peacocks. We visited the Jagathnath temple during the day and people singing bhajans (religious songs) accompanied by music (harmonium, manjeera, dhol etc). They do this 3 times a day and it was so peaceful and beautiful that I went back in the evening and just sat and listened.

We also visited the Jagmandir palace on the lake which belongs to the Maharaja. He has turned it into a restaurant and the views are stunning. The Maharaja himself was also there as he manages the running of the place. He is a very simple, humble young guy considering they are one of the most powerful families in Udaipur.

Our driver, Tejpal Singh is from Udaipur so he took us to have pani puri, chaat, fresh sugar cane juice (from a place which has been operating for the last 50+ years). He also took us to a small nondescript shop which sold savouries and sweets in the morning and it was so popular and busy it took us 15 minutes to get served. However the wait was worth it as the Khamal Dhokra that we bought from there were the best and softest that I have ever tasted.

A tip for anyone wanting to tour Rajasthan is to start from Udaipur. The reason for this is that the Udaiur people and drivers are so wonderful that they will make your trip memorable. (We had to get rid of our Delhi driver who was being difficult.....) 

Tags: udaipur

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.