Existing Member?

Julie & Joe's Travels

Korean Taxi's

SOUTH KOREA | Monday, 6 April 2009 | Views [949]

You need a cab.  You see one flying down the street.  You squint to see if the red vacant light is on.  It’s on.  You stick your hand out.  The cab driver ducks his head and peers out the front dash window.  He slows down.  He gets to a distance when he sees you clearly: a waegook (foreigner).  This is a crucial moment.  Most of the time he slows down and pulls up next to you.  No worries.  Then there are the other times: you can almost see it, the contemplation occurring in his mind of whether or not he is feeling brave enough to pick up a foreigner.  The slowing down turns into a stomp on the accelerator and he goes zooming by without a glance.  In most instances when you do manage to grab a cab, there is yet another critical moment.  This is the moment that will completely determine your fate for the next 5 minutes… Welcome to the Korean taxi world.

 

There are 3 possible scenarios:

1.     Upon entering the cab, with your biggest “annyoeong hasseyo” possible, if you only receive but a grunt, the prospects are not looking good.  At this point you can assume 2 things:

A.     The driver will claim to not understand a word you say

B.      The driver will claim to not understand a word you say and in the mean time drive around in circles with the meter running as he tries to “understand.”

We usually can assume this outcome if the taxi driver is an elderly man.  Experiences in the war must have not been good ones.  You can expect money to be thrown at you.  And don’t even think about a “good bye.”

2.     Upon entering the cab, with your biggest “annyeong hasseyo” possible, the taxi driver does the Korean “oh!”  Now for those living in Korea, you know exactly what I am talking about.  There is so much meaning behind a simple sound.  There are feelings of shock, surprise, resentment, excitement and panic.  A foreigner.  How will I communicate?  Have I made a mistake by picking her up?  At this point you speak as much Korean as you can spit out to ensure that you have asked where to go in a formal and polite manner.  This ambitious trial of a foreign language can take you 3 places:

A.     The driver assumes your Korean is fluent and goes on speaking to you the entire duration of travel time

B.      The driver compliments your Korean and keeps to himself occasionally asking you a random simple question to test your Korean ability.  If you are American, this is the type of taxi driver that will usually yell “OBAMA!” and “Busch-ee bad!”

3.     The last type is the one who looks at you as if you were any one of the locals hopping in and out of his cab all day.  He takes your destination order, drives you in peace, hands your money back respectably and greets you as you climb out of the car.

 

If you are lucky enough you can experience the “race car wannabe” cab drivers.  These drivers think the roads are the Grand Prix and seemed to be confused with the reality of it all.  The taxi’s will come equipped with padded roofs, tinted windows, neon lights and even a fire extinguisher for those unfortunate tricks-gone-bad.  Do a prayer and hold on.  Focus on your destination while he zips and speeds through the traffic and streets.

 

I would like to comment on the cleanliness and obvious attention to detail in these cabs.  In the (what seems like) hundreds of cabs I have taken, EVERY SINGLE ONE of them was immaculate.  Not a pinch of dust or scrape distorted the presentation of the dashboard.  Leather glistens and the sweet aroma of air freshner always attacks your nose full force.  on the sides of the roads in the long taxi stand, you can see the drivers stepping outside for a smoke and to dust off their car with an over-sized feather duster.

 

While they wait for a customer a few congregate near the curb for some chit chat while others watch their TV’s drilled into the dashboards and nod off. 

 

Walking up to a Korean taxi is always a new and interesting experience.

 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.