Existing Member?

ninja monkey, the adventures of We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls ~ Anais Nin

WTF, India?

INDIA | Tuesday, 7 February 2012 | Views [2400]

kellie riding an elephant

kellie riding an elephant

There are a couple things that have just made us say, 'WTF, India?!'

- Carbar. During the reception in our last night in Bombay, 9 of us left the hotel, kicked out the driver of a small van and crammed ourselves into it. I ended up sitting on one of Vinay's cousin's laps as we drank bourbon, rum, some random cocktail, and wine while the driver judgingly paced outside the car. Apparently, drinking at bars in India is sometimes too expensive, and if people don't have a home available to drink at, they just cram themselves into a car to drink. WTF, India?

- Riding an elephant for 10 minutes up a neighborhood alley. At the Amber Fort in Jaipur, visitors can ride elephants up the ramps to the fort. However, our tuk tuk driver convinced us that we could ride elephants at an "elephant village" for a third of the cost at Amber Fort. We agreed to do it, but the "village" turned out to be a random barn in the middle of the city with three elephants. All three of us hopped on one of the elephants, and the driver took us 10 minutes up some random dirt alley where neighborhood children chased us screaming, "helloooo! what is your name! Where are you come from!" We ducked power lines and waved to families sitting on their roofs. It was a hilarious experience that only got better when we got back to the barn -- they offered to let us ride on the elephants heads. Of course, Kellie and I jumped at the chance. Totally worth the cost and not standing in line for 2 hours at Amber Fort, but still, WTF, India?

- All cities have multiple names. Bombay is the same as Mumbai. Calicut is the same as Kozhikode. This makes it difficult and anxiety inducing when we're on the train and don't know the correct name of the stop we need to get off at. Slightly related: Street signs are non-existent. I have no idea how people get around here because the cities were founded long before the grid system was and most of the streets are winding and full of people, tuk tuks, bicycles, and random livestock. WTF, India?

- Kellie had a baby foisted upon her. We were at a garden in Jaipur today when a random Indian man came up to Kellie with a baby and basically pushed her into Kellie's arms. He then forced Kellie to stand there with child so that he could take a picture of them together. He was ecstatic. WTF, India??

About predatorybunny


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.