Existing Member?

Sarah and Jason's year long honeymoon

Dubai... not India, Thank Christ!

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Monday, 21 June 2010 | Views [626]

The flight was great and for us simpletons it made our day that we could watch a movie before the plane had even taken off! Anyway Tom picked us up from the airport and we went to Gwen’s for a few catch up drinks and bed ... was great actually talking to Gwen for more than 5 mins which I think is all we got at the wedding!

Next day we did the grog run which apparently can take up to 2 hours each way through the desert, driving alongside some random camels to a resort where a massive “Dan Murphy’s” is to stock up for the week ahead.  We then went to Tom’s local mall, to show us the shops which were so big that Gwen and I got lost and then headed home to prepare for the UK vs. USA world cup match where we went to a pub with a massive footie themed tent to watch the game and meet a few of Tom’s mates. After watching the very disappointing game and sinking far too many $10 promotional beers which entitled you to a few World cup t-shirts (aka new PJ’s), we headed home.

Unfortunately the next day Gwen had to work so Jase and I raided Tom’s movie and TV collection and topped up our hard drive over beers, a bbq and of course another trip to another mall. (Must admit during my trip to Dubai, I have an apparent addiction to Glee, which is awful and every waking moment consists of fitting in an episode or 2!). Finally on day 3 we decided to act a bit like tourists and went to Dubai Mall to see the Burj Kailifa (tallest building in the world). We got there not realising you have to book, so booked for the next day and had a quick visit to Bloomingdales and more importantly Magnolia Cupcake shop for dinner as Gwen was cooking us a Roast (we love you Gwen!!). Went home via the 7 star hotel and beach hoping to see some local women in their “burkini’s” though we were out of luck we got some great photos and then the cooking and drinking commenced... I now have to say that everything that happened the night of the 14th is under lock and key between us 4 and never to be discussed but all I can say is Gwen, you’re on fire!

Next day, and as Tom said “an early start of 12pm”, we headed for the top of the Burj Kalifa which was really amazing and truly showed the contradictions of Dubai’s extravagance vs. the desert/construction country that it is. We had a quick look at the Fronds, Atlantis hotel and then headed home to spruce ourselves up for a night out at the Marina with Gwen, Tom and Ben (a friend of Tom’s) for our last night in Dubai. Great food, good company and crazy taxi drivers made for a wonderful night. Tom and Gwen, we really had an amazing time catching up over way too many drinks and too many Fat Burgers “Fat burger!!!” Thanks so much for your hospitality.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.