Existing Member?

Sarah and Jason's year long honeymoon

Laos

LAOS | Wednesday, 28 April 2010 | Views [605]

So picking up from where we left off, we were still in Chiang Mai about to head off to Laos but still having fun at the water festival. We decided to join in with the locals and bought 2 waters guns and stood on the side of the East Bank, which looked like a car park, throwing water at everyone walking or in the cars. Had a great time although when we got changed at night, had to dodge and hide behind cars so we weren’t soaked on the way to eat dinner.

Next day we were off to Luang Prabang in Laos flying Lao Airlines which if you have ever done some research can be dangerous pending on what plane you get. We happened to get a 20 seater old Russian Fighter plane take us across the border in stormy weather... i don’t usually get frightened on planes but i swear we were going to fall from the sky, especially when only 1 propeller worked initially when the engine started. Arrived in Laos just 5 minutes before a torrential storm with buckets of rain (phew) only to find when we got into town, all the power was out and the roads were flooded. It actually made the place very romantic with everyone using candlelight to see and it lit up the French architecture perfectly. Next day we walked around all the Wats in the town, tried the scrummy Laos food and planned a trip to Kuang Si waterfall and Pak Ou Cave the next day.

Firstly we took the boat to the cave, which was interesting but with 3 hours of travel, really wasn’t worth it. However we did meet a couple who we talked to constantly which made the journey a lot more bearable. We then did the waterfall in the afternoon and climbed all the way to the top, which was a rather big hike but was stunning... shame we missed the monk’s backflipping off the tree! Then headed to Wat Phu Si to watch the sun set which was over 350 stairs and after climbing p the waterfall were impressed that we didn’t bail but was well worth the view.  Loved Luang Prabang and in hindsight wished we had stayed there more!

Next day we were heading to Vang Vieng to tube along the river. Despite what the travel guides say, the small and hot bus is actually a 7 hour journey not 5. Despite being tired, the heat in Vang Vieng was unbearable and of course as soon as we set foot in the hotel room to cool down, another power cut. Had a look around the town which is rather scummy and it clearly is a backpacker joint but we ran into the couple we met in Luang Prabang so had a few drinks with them before heading home, being wary not to drink too much as we had a big day ahead of us.

Had booked a half day caving tour in the morning where we met a great group of international travellers who were then going to Tham Phu Kham cave in the afternoon whilst we tubed down the river with the only 55 year old in the group! The bars on the river at Vang Vieng are truly a spectacle... at one stage we were at the Organic Farm looking at milking goats and making cheese and then the next you hear this thumping of music from the bars only to walk down to see lights, thousands of people and swings above the river. We quickly ditched the oldie, where we saw the couple from the day before and had a few shots of Lao Lao whiskey with scorpions in it! to catch up with them. Went to a couple of bars, losing the tube a few times so had to steal some back and then saw the group from the morning adventures and headed over to them. After some persuasion (and drinks) we both decided to have a go on the river swing which was great fun, until I got a little cocky and went up there on my own only to slip off the rope and belly flop 8m into the river in front of everyone. Luckily we were at a bar where only our group was so I wasn’t too embarrassed but managed to bruise the tops of my legs and stomach really badly... luckily everyone was very sympathetic which worked in our favour as we only had 1.5hours to get the tubes back otherwise we were going to loose our deposit on the tubes, so we hitch hiked back with the kayakers! We were the envy of everyone, especially when all the bars stopped and you had 2kms to tube in slow water and sober up. Went out to dinner and had a few more drinks with this group of Italian, Spanish, UK and Germans.

Having a mega hangover, we took the 5 hour bus to Vientiane and were rather scarred when a shonky old bus turned up with no air con or room for the backpacks so they blockaded the exit so we would all fit on. We were so angry thinking that this was how we were getting to Vientiane but we changed buses and arrived fine. Decided to only spend a night in Vientiane as the hotels and food were very expensive and the heat again got to us so in the morning quickly saw a few of the city sights by tuk tuk and then flew into Hanoi. Although we only saw northern Laos didn’t really like the place or the people as much as the Thais, We did enjoy Luang Prabang but with time in SE Asia running out, we cut our Lao trip short .

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.