Existing Member?

On the Loose

Bumthang

BHUTAN | Thursday, 24 September 2009 | Views [456] | Comments [1]

Trongsa Dzong

Trongsa Dzong

Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2009

Blessed easy day.

Before leaving Throngsa for Jakar, we stopped at a wonderful museum funded and restored by the Austrian government.  They took a 17th century tower in ruins and performed a miracle.  While we were in the upper courtyard, we saw the prime minister's motorcade when they made a refreshment stop below.  He is headed east to access the earthquake damage.

When we stopped at Yotongla Pass, the motorcade passed us.  The Prime Minister was fast asleep in the front seat of second car, and we completely understood.  Long drives over slow winding roads.  Drive today is only 2.5 hours. 

After reaching Jakar, we visited the Jakar Dzong.  A Dzong was originally built as a fortress, but today each one is half governmental and half religious - administrative with housing for monks.

We visited the town, took pictures of precious children and some adults, bought t-shirts, and listen to this:  We seemed to be craving certain foods, so we asked the guide if there was popcorn in Bhutan.  He rushed out and found someone who would pop a batch for us.  It took five minutes, and the corn was delivered in a sheep of newspaper. 

Free afternoon for rest.  Good nights sleep.  We are truly happy dwarfs.

Check out our video of the roads to central Bhutan

Tags: bhutan, jakar, trongsa

Comments

1

Ed read everything today---he loved it as much as I. I can't wait to have you all for a glass of wine and to talk about your trip. This is Great---keep us on your list--PLEASE
Betty and Ed

  Betty Sep 25, 2009 9:15 AM

About poeanne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bhutan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.