Existing Member?

On the Loose

Dawgs in Kathmandu

NEPAL | Wednesday, 23 September 2009 | Views [572]

Karma Sutra Temple

Karma Sutra Temple

Sunday September 20, 2009

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

You’ll never guess how we started our Sunday morning.  Well, maybe you can.  We were up at 5:00 a.m. for Anne to catch up on school work, but in our quiet corner of the lobby where we had wireless, we got live feed of the Georgia-Arkansas game.  It was not, I must say, like seeing a game in Sanford Stadium or watching one on the Prokasy’s big screen.  But for three desperate nomads, it was a somewhat close third.   What a way to start a day!  Thank you ESPN, and thank you Dawgs.

 

Our guide came at 8:30 and waited until the game was over.  He may be a Georgia fan now.  We drove for an hour seeing herds of goat and water buffalo gathered for the festival.  I won’t elaborate on the sacrifice part as I am trying to think only that people will have meat for the festival.  The  ancient city of Bhaktapur is one of the most interesting destinations so far.  Most of the houses here date from the 16th century, and the Royal Palace from the 15th century.  When the palace was built, it had 55 windows, a large number for a structure at that time.  Afterwards, no building was allowed to have 55 or more windows.  Temple Square is dominated by a large, five-story temple, built by the king for his wife.  It is now the most popular temple in the country.  Recordings of the chant, Om Mani Padme Hum, were being played all over the small town. “The Little Buddha” was filmed in Palace Square where we visited the palace and found the royal bath guarded by a huge cobra very interesting.

 

Next, and we were all leery of this, we went to Pashupatinath, the holy cremation site on the river.  Both Buddhist and Hindus use this site.  When the ceremony is finished, the ashes are swept into the river.  We were horrified that small children were swimming only a short distance downstream.  The guide assured us that they were used to that water, having bathed and swam in it all their lives.

 

Lunch was in an upstairs restaurant looking out on the Bodhnath.Stupha.  Afterwards, we made the ceremonial walk around it’s base. 

 

We had dinner a short distance from the hotel in a typical local restaurant where you sat on cushions on the floor.  We were entertained by singers, dancers and large costumed animals.  Lots of food, some of it edible.

Tags: kathmandu, nepal

About poeanne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.