Existing Member?

pocoloco update Trying to settle down.... but where?

Back to "civilisation"

NEPAL | Monday, 28 November 2011 | Views [354]

Hi all,

Great feeling of holiday ow that the medical post is closed, and we've just arrived back in Kathmandu. After ten weeks of "being there" for big and small problems, about 300 ptients have been treated, some 15 evacuations have been arranged and most of all we're proud as a team to have run a good season in one of the most magnificent areas of the Himalayas.

Two days of hard walking with 20+kg backpacks have brought us to Lukla. During this trip we saw the first wheels in two months...under a wheelbarrow!  This morning we had a 'scenic' flight back to KTM. Small plane, lots of noise and just going over the passes: much more the idea of flying than just sitting in a huge Airbus or Boeing. We are rapidly trying to check if all our memories of good food and a cool beer are correct: so far the breakfast with yoghurt and fresh fruit, plenty of coffee and more delicacies was great. Two months ago we still thought KTM was not cheap, but after trekking ourselves in a region where every little thing needs to be carried up for 2 or more days, we appreciate why food and other goods in the Everest region are quite a bit more expensive. When trekking you can live on about $30US a day, but here in KTM you can live in good comfort for 15-20US.

We won't be appreciating the comforts of KTM for log, as Wednesday we will take a bus to Pokhara, and then onwards to the Annapurna sanctuary. Still about 2 weeks to spend in Nepal, and with strong legs and a well acclimatized body (living at 4400+m for the last two months) we want to make the most of it.

The plan is (as before) to be back in NZ the weekend before X-mas to catch up with friends and colleagues before the big holiday season starts. Mika is already partly booked in for het travelclinic work, and we'll see what the future will bring with respect to other work.

Must say that voluntary work including good food and lodging may be considered...!

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.