Existing Member?

Wonderings of a Wanderer eandering through foreign lands, whose people speak in tongues unknown... I seek to learn and understand cultures, customs not my own… I yearn to learn, to see, expand, my knowledge as I wander, roam… To visit places, see first-hand the lands tha

Merryn wins 4 day holiday in BA!

ARGENTINA | Sunday, 10 June 2007 | Views [658] | Comments [1]

Hola all! Yes, I´m still in South America... Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I got to the airport in Rio nice and early, 1430 (flight left at 1830).... but we didn´t leave until midnight as our plane was delayed from BA to Rio due to the bad fog (I see what they mean, very white and misty here). They understanably confiscated my water for security reasons but no shops were open in the international departure part of the airport to sell any drinks and we had a few more hours to wait! I got to know some of the passengers though in that time which was good. Again due to the bad fog we couldn´t land at the international airport in BA and so they had us land at the domestic airport (at 4 am). This also meant that my luggage, checked through to Sydney, landed here too... and that we had to do the whole customs thing also. They are set up for this at BA domestic airport as apparantly they receive flights there from Uruguay which is only a sniff away.

It was a bit of chaos... no one to direct us. But we had formed a group of people (waiting for the same connecting flight to NZ/Aust) and fortunately one of us could translate - he speaks Portugese, Spanish and English.

Anyway we were there for a while, waiting at the domestic... while they sorted out buses for us. There were many other travellers in the same situation. But when we finally arrived at the international airport (about 6 am) we discovered that at our connecting flight (which they assured us was waiting) had mysteriously managed to leave (despite the fog) without us at 4am! Grr.

So we were thinking... how many more hours to wait? Meanwhile I was grateful to be reunited with my bag - I was worried Id never see it again! Then they broke the news... no flights out for a while... and our next flight would be on Tuesday. So not a few hours, but 4 days away!

Aerolinias have put us up at a Hotel not too far from central BA. I have my own room (with a kettle and a bath - I´m stoked!) and the hotel will give us vouchers for meals at a nearby restaurant (FREE FOOD!)- we are entitled to 3 meals a day. We didn´t get to the hotel until 9am though and were all truly buggered.

So here´s hoping that the weather fines up by Tuesday midnight! Cheers all!

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

since i'm from buenos aires, i welcome you, and i hope you have an amazing time in here!

good luck!

  guada Jun 14, 2007 2:32 PM

About pistachio_tumbleweed

Townsville skies... manipulated

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.