Existing Member?

Wonderings of a Wanderer eandering through foreign lands, whose people speak in tongues unknown... I seek to learn and understand cultures, customs not my own… I yearn to learn, to see, expand, my knowledge as I wander, roam… To visit places, see first-hand the lands tha

Chilling out in Sucre

BOLIVIA | Thursday, 3 May 2007 | Views [943]

Hi all...!

it´s been a little while since I managed to get to the internet... apologies!  It is great to read the comments and to keep in contact with so many of you.

Sucre... well it was a really horrible bus trip from Cochabamba to Sucre... nothing terrible happened, it was just one of those night bus trips where no matter how much you wiggle or how many yoga positions you try, you can not find comfort.

It was a relief to arrive at Sucre... and we stayed at Hotel Independencia or something like that, not far from the main square.  As we were early, we had breakfast (a great breakfast... fruit, yoghurt, bread, cereal... so many breakfasts are just bread and jam) but not all the rooms were ready.  So feeling a little brave I went off to explore... the main square was overrun with school children but it was a lovely atmosphere. 

At the hotel Vicki and I scored an amazing room... 2 double beds, one single and a giant bathroom.  We managed to keep it quiet for one day but then the others found out and were in awe!

Sucre is a beautiful city, so at odds with Cochabamba and La Paz... it is a white city with great old buildings... the cinema has cats in it (pouncing on mice) and there is a great park with a very mini eifel tower (scuse spelling!).  This park was my favourite and I kept going there just to chill out in the sun (yes, a little bit of warmth!) and to enjoy the trees...

On one day whilst in Sucre (we stayed about 3) I went horse riding in the countryside... it was great to see some of the land but everything is so dry and dusty.  We were asked in the middle of nowhere (my little group of 3 on horseback, Cecil, Nisha and I) if we wanted a yellow fever vaccination (!!!) which was good to see.  Boliva and Peru are really trying to get this yellow fever under wraps.

I was sad to leave Sucre... it was the highlight of Bolivia.  I hear there is maybe one other city like it (Santa Cruz or somesuch) but we didn´t get to go there.. from Sucre we departed in Hyundai speedy gonzalez bald tyre taxi fashion, a 2.5 hour trip that took us to Potosi... highest city in the world...

ciao,

Mez

Tags: Relaxation

About pistachio_tumbleweed

Townsville skies... manipulated

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.