Existing Member?

My Silk Road The Piglet stumbles across the continent

44 - Royal gardens in Srinigar

INDIA | Friday, 12 October 2012 | Views [404]

Srinigar's Nishat Garden

Srinigar's Nishat Garden

Kashmir was a favorite place for the Mughal emperors to cool off during the summer. We visited two lovely Mughal gardens this afternoon.  And what a difference these were from the Mughal garden we visited in Lahore.  The Nishat Garden in Srinigar (built in the days of Shah Jehan) is beautifully kept with chrysanthemums, dahlias and other colourful flowers in full bloom, Chinar trees that are 300-400 years old with leaves starting to turn copper, manicured lawns and running fountains that flow over three levels.  The Shalimar Garden (built by Shah Jehangir) is not quite as well-maintained but still a far sight from the sad and sorry Shalimar Garden in Lahore.  It seems easier for gardens to be kept in ship-shape but the pavilions in Srinigar's Shalimar Garden were peeling and fading in many places, although the colour and patterns are still vibrant.  There was apparently a terrible storm in March this year which damaged much of the gardens and fell many ancient trees.   What was particularly uplifting was to see families laughing and strolling in the gardens and sometimes couples sitting under shady trees, stealing a quiet romantic moment.  

A perfect end to Part Two of the Silk Road trip.  I will be home on 13 October.

 

About piglet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.