Existing Member?

My Silk Road The Piglet stumbles across the continent

17 - A first glimpse of Xinjiang (via the stomach)

CHINA | Thursday, 13 September 2012 | Views [1844] | Comments [1]

Fat wrapped mutton liver skewers

Fat wrapped mutton liver skewers

Dinner at Urumqi 乌鲁木齐 tonight was at a local restaurant (no foreign tourists seen and most of the staff only spoke the Uighur language).  Almost Hansel and Gretel-like in its decor and charm. 

The food is perceptibly less Han and has shades of India, the Stans and Iran: pilaf (so delicious I forgot to take a picture before consuming the whole bowl), mutton skewers, fresh yoghurt as well as the more familiar sauteed and soup noodles.  The mutton skewers are a lot larger than those in Dunhuang, and far more tender and less spicy. Note: the mutton liver skewers are wrapped in fat before barbequing which renders the liver crispy outside and juicy inside.  Not unlike a first bite into a crisply grilled sausage.  I'm looking forward to more Xinjiang culinary explorations.

Check out the pics!

  

 

Comments

1

I love your perspectives - from food to culture and history, with a bit of observation of cute guides thrown in! Keep blogging, it's great to read these ... and good luck on the next exciting chapter of your journey Ella!

  beryl Cook Sep 14, 2012 7:55 PM

About piglet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.