Existing Member?

The World Trip

Day #14 (30-Mar-2007)

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 2 April 2007 | Views [503]

 

Day #14

 

Breakfast

Breakfast at this place was just a continental breakfast, in fact it was mini-packets of cereal that you opened yourself.  They did however make tea + toast for us so it wasn’t too bad.  We were in rush to get the 9:26am train so we wolfed down the brekky then got a cab out.

 

Cab

As we were leaving our hotel for Kings Cross Train Station (monopoly ;), we passed some flowers left on the side of the road.  We asked the driver what they were, and he said that some 15 year old boy was walking his dog there (the night before at 5pm), and he was confronted by 4 youths, who demanded he give them his dog.  When he refused they bashed him, and then one stabbed him.  The poor young guy died.  It was peak-hour traffic at the time but no-one bothered to stop to help (Just as I looked at graves and lamented at 20 year olds lying there, I am sure people in 100 years will see graves with 15 years old and feel the same way).  One strange thing in London is that they stick billboards up where people were murdered giving you stats on that murder.

 

We had our own peak-hour traffic to deal with trying to get to Kings Cross.  There was a huge new building going up which was a Westfield Shopping town (the driver even acknowledged it was Australian).  Given what I think is the inferior level of shopping malls over here (Tesco + Mark & Spencer are the leading ones here) they might find themselves getting slaughtered by the more "advanced" foreign shopping centre franchises.

 

We eventually made it to Kings Cross train station but we missed the train.  Luckily trains in England run about every 30 minutes so we got the next one.  Amy was running late for a meeting with the NHS/Xanxa Shared Service Provider but she decided to call in once at Leeds.

 

Train to Leeds

 

We got an excellent train to Leeds.  We managed to score a double seat (one with a table between them) so I had something to put my laptop on.  The power was working, and in addition wireless internet was available (although I had to pay for it,  10 pounds for 24 hours).  If you decide to get trains around England (which is a worthwhile thing to do), I recommend you book your seat numbers in advance (otherwise you take pot-luck on what seats you get) and ensure that power/internet is available (if you need it).

 

Walk around Leeds

 

We finally arrived at Leeds (12:15pm) and Amy got a taxi to Tingley to meet NHS/Xanxa Shared Service Provider.  We agreed to meet again at 2:30pm and I decided to walk around town.  I was quite disappointed with Leeds (I was only there for 2 hours so I didn’t get to see much).  There didn’t seem to be much to see there.  I went to the museum but it was closed for rennovations.  I didn’t make it to millenium square (but I figured it was more gardens - and I am sick of those).  I had lunch at Burger King but there was a big queue there (England is a nation of queues.  People have to join long queues for everything.  There is not enough service staff for the population (I guess the culture is here is that they would rather queue for longer than pay higher prices).

 

 

Train to York

 

I met Amy at 2:30pm and we retrieved our luggage from the minding facility (these things are rare as hens teeth now - this cost 5.5 pounds per item).  We got on a train from Leeds to York.  It was only a 30 min trip so this was more like a commuter train than a long distance run.

 

Check in + Dinner

 

We finally arrived at York, and got a taxi to our hotel.  This hotel was luxurious and a refreshing change from the last place we slept in.  We went down to their restaurant and I had (wait for it …) Bangers and Mash (let me tell you - there is not much variety in British food).

 

Sleep

I don’t think we got to see much today, although we did get to pass through 3 towns (London, Leeds, York).  Oh well, maybe we will see more tomorrow (Woohoo! This hotel has wireless internet!)

Tags: Adventures

About phoebe2007


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.