Existing Member?

Phil's wanderings

The new TSA security regime - does it make us safer?

USA | Tuesday, 23 November 2010 | Views [54697] | Comments [8]

Full body x-rays, hands-on pat-downs, demands for ID, bans on liquids, gels, nail clippers, hair spray, knitting needles and now ink cartridges – the new TSA security regime.

Travel safety specialist at WorldNomads.com, Phil Sylvester, sifts fact from fiction and asks – does it make us any safer?

-----

I’m as sick as the next person at taking off my shoes and belt!

 

In 2005 I was part of a TV crew travelling the world for 7 weeks. 4 unrelated people aged between 25 and 45, travelling on the same newly issued American Express card, with 14 suitcases of electronic equipment (with industrial-looking batteries). We got special attention everywhere, but by the time we reached the U.S. we’d been to The Netherlands, Finland and the United Arab Emirates, so you can imagine the security hoops we had to jump through every time we boarded a plane in the U.S. (and we took 6 US flights in 14 days!).

 

Like I said, I’m as sick as the next person at taking off my shoes and belt.

 

Since then there’ve been other attempts to attack planes. Security is tighter than ever. Now we have Full Body Scanners and “enhanced” pat-downs. I can’t contemplate making that same trip.

 

That’s the thing about security – as soon as you harden one weak point the attacker will move on and look for the next. Once identified a hole in the defense can never be left open. This game will never end, but is the TSA playing the right game?

 

Secure Flight.

You have to hand over your full name, as it appears on government issued ID, date of birth, gender and address. Small differences between the name on the boarding pass and the ID should be okay. The TSA says, “should”. Duke Johnson better start letting his friends in on the secret he’s really Marmaduke Johnson if he wants to board that flight.

 

 (Mind you, this is not new. Prior to 9/11 I knew a man who called himself Ric, and used correction fluid on the Frede part of his real name - Frederic - IN HIS PASSPORT. He didn’t get on his flight that day.)

 

So will the Secure Flight information stop a would-be terrorist boarding a plane? “I’ve got the semtex cleverly sewn into my shorts, I’ve secretly activated a terror cell which has lay dormant for a decade, but d’oh I forgot to get my fake ID!”

 

Times Square would-be bomber, Faisal Shahzad, was a US citizen – no need to fake his government issued ID.

 

The TSA must have its reasons, but for me, Secure Flight is a waste of time.

 

Full Body Scanners.

They’re going to show everyone what you look like naked (especially after the pictures have been leaked onto the internet), and hit you with unacceptable doses of radiation, right? Wrong.

 

The dose from a backscatter X-ray full body scanner, according to the President’s science advisor Dr Holden, is 86,000 times lower than the annual safe dosage. You’d have to take 235 body scans A DAY for a whole year just to reach “safe” dosage.

 

You’ve seen this image of the body scan which has been manipulated in Photoshop to reveal everything?

 

 

It’s a fake. It was an illustration by a German magazine of what it thought might happen when the scanners were introduced.

 

The real TSA body scan images look like this.

Sorry, but I don’t see hotbackscatterimages.com being a hit.

 

Full body scanners – a success. Scan me, and let me know when I can keep my shoes and belt on while you do it.

“Enhanced” pat-down.

The hands-on, crotch area body search which so upset John Tyner at San Diego the other week could be embarrassing, more embarrassing than you expect.

 

The officer’s fingers touch every part of your arms, legs and torso, there’s even a gentle parting of the butt cheeks according to one account.

 

It was Kate Hinni of FlyerRights.org who first likened the search to “foreplay”.  I don’t know anything about Kate’s love life, but unless they were playing Barry White music with the lights down low, I think “foreplay” is an exaggeration or at least inaccurate.

 

One traveller recently posted on another forum “For those who fly, TSA foreplay, get ready to be violated!” to which another traveller replied “or you could go through the machine.” I’m with him.

Manners, please.

It’s not the security measures; it’s the way they do them. The lack of respect, the do-it-or-you’re-a-terrorist attitude. Someone needs to give the TSA a handbook on customer relations.

 

Would we all feel better about a crotch search if the officer said “please”, and “would you mind”, and “excuse me”? I think we would.

 

 And as John Tyner argued, most people will co-operate if there’s an alternative. If the TSA is allowed a multi-layered security procedure, can we be allowed a multi-layered response: “No body scanner, thank you. No pat-down, either, but I’ll go through the metal detector and explosives sniffer as many times as you want.”

What’s the alternative?

Do we have an alternative?  Terrorism attempts haven’t been detected before hand, it was only when Richard Reid started lighting his shoe, and Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab started burning up his under shorts, or an insider tipped us off about the ink cartridges, that we had any idea what the terrorists next move would be. Still, the number of terrorism deaths on planes in the US since 9/11 – zero.

 

So, does the new TSA security regime – awkward, rude and annoying as it is – make us safer?

 

Ask the 147 people on the planes on 9/11. Give them the choice of being touched in the groin area or dying in the most horrible terror attack the world has ever known. Ask the 2605 people in the twin towers if they would object to passengers in Boston being put through a full body scanner. Ask all 2976 innocent victims if they’d swap a lifetime of hassle and delay at the airport for one more hour with their loved ones.

 

I’m as sick as the next person of taking off my shoes and belt, but I do it.

Tags: airport, security, travel-safety, tsa

Comments

1

So nice of you to forget that all the crap that has gotten thru was stopped by passengers not TSA who mssed it!! The dosage you receive is UNKNOWN because the tests were done for a differant type of dose reading and NO ONE is allowed to do independant testing. P.S. Thank you for giving up the rights my friends and I fought to let you keep them and for saying we should agree to lose our rights as well.

  EOD-Devon Jul 21, 2011 10:18 PM

2

EOD-Devon, did you actually read my article? I said all onboard terrorism attempts have been detected NOT by TSA screening but when they were underway on a flight.
Even if the dosage is "unknown" do you think it will be 86,000 times greater than currently said (which would still make it just 'safe')?
What about the rights and freedoms of the 2976 victims of 9/11?
All I said was: would some of those victims have agreed to an awkward, rude, invasive poorly-handled security procedure if it meant they could spend just one more hour with their loved ones.... I know I would.

  safetyhub Jul 21, 2011 10:47 PM

3

Great article, fantastic points - I agree that we should, as a collective people, stop whining and start being realistic. If there's something to cry about, people will find it and make sure everyone knows about it. It gets extremely frustrating when flying with all the security (and I'm usually in a rush) but is it worth my safety (and my family's) and the greater goal of freedom? I think so.

  Kari Jul 24, 2011 12:01 AM

4

The article states that the security has not stopped terrorism, but passengers have. Then it goes on to conclude that we should submit to security because 9/11 victims would have wanted it. They went through security and still died. Would security today have caught them? Probably not because the plots change such as the ones mentioned in the article.

You need to rethink your logic.

  Jack Sep 1, 2011 1:21 PM

5

I, too, travel quite a bit and I know have a standard travel outfit and carry-ons. Granted, I believe that terrorists are clever and will always think of more ways to beat the system but I would rather be inconvenienced than to make it easier for the terrorists to get on board. I am not saying that the TSA procedures will prevent all of them from getting on board but it ups the protection and ante. I am usually a candidate to be searched... basically 98% of the time, I am searched. Frustrating, annoying, embarrassing, yes but I know the rules before I book my flight and if I want it to stop.. then I can drive or take a boat. You can make weapons out of many objects and I am not comfortable with someone just going through a metal detector. No, security is still not 100% tight but nothing ever is but it is a lot tighter than it was before 2001.

If you do not like it, then do not fly. It is that simple.

  Kellieghr Nov 20, 2011 9:01 AM

6

Murica! Murica! We happily submit to unfair and often racist screening process in order to fly internationally. We thank our government for keeping us safe, because clearly, racial profiling and exposure to unhealthy levels of radiation stops terrorism. Monger on fear mongers, monger on

  Murican Mar 3, 2013 8:43 AM

7

My point is this why should non americans on non american air lines flying in non american air space have to be subject to all this security and american laws? . . . Americas failed foreign policy has done them no flavors why should we suffer for american deeds? There are those who believe that 9/11 was an inside job . . We are still free to make up our own minds right?

  Paul Smith Mar 28, 2013 6:33 AM

8

BENGHAZI !!!

  Mike Aug 25, 2014 11:58 AM

About philsylvester


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.