Existing Member?

Living the Dream

What the hell was that!!!

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 5 July 2011 | Views [165]

So back home after a very quick 24hrs in Timika. Phill has been to work all day; I have been doing things round the house and food shopping. And we are both tired so we take an early night to bed. I can hear noises outside and Gobey tells me it’s nothing but I am sure its people. As we are on the middle floor so hearing voices or noises means they have to be in the jungle behind the house.

So after a few minutes the loudest noise I have ever heard, scares me and before I know it there is another loud noise, different from the last one.  By this time I am having kittens. I ask Gobey what was that noise and he tells me it was gun shots! GUN SHOTS!!! I am scared in the bed as they sounded so close and Gobey is pulling trousers on and going to look outside.

We are living in the thinnest house ever. Any lose gun shots would go through all the walls in the place and Gobey is heading out the door to have a look!!!

There was not another sound after that, but me on the other hand could not get back to sleep. That has to be the worse night I have ever gone through.

The next morning the gun shots are the talk of the mountain, and it turns out to be local Papuan’s trying to dig up the old road side pipes to try and get the old rim of gold that they say is left in it after years of use. So the security and army let of warning shots to scare them off. And they were right behind out place. So now there is a clean up to dig up all the old pipes from the ground to prevent that happening again.

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.