Existing Member?

PETKAT Adventures 50 ish and loving it

cuenca highlights

ECUADOR | Monday, 19 November 2007 | Views [503] | Comments [1]

Yesterday we took the bus to the El Cajas National Park about 45 mins ride by bus to the west of Cuenca.It was a wonderful experience. The scenery is different with craggy mountain outcrops in  some parts,small lakes set among the mountains and clumps of  grassy stuff like spinifex and gorgeous little flowers that grow close to ground. I would guess it like moorland.

It was quite cold and we set off for a 3 hour walk from the top station to the lower one with map in hand, a few general directions from a  passing guide and in the company of a young Brit diving instructor and his Ecuadorian girlfriend.

We had an envigorating walk, got a bit off track at times as the paths were not well marked,crossed over several streams, some with a bit of difficulty, Peter even had to take his shoes and socks off once and brave the chilly water so he could get across and then help us.We came across two llamas grazing, which was pretty cool. There was a  woody section of quinua trees.It was the most unreal experience to walk through it. The trunks are a reddy colour and the trunks and branches are all twisted and entangled and there's moss on them and the ground.It is a place where you think fairies and little folk would live.I hope the photos turn out.

We have seen four very different types of  mountains through the centre of Ecuador.

Today we walked around the Inca ruins, Pumapungo, here and a very good museum. We went to a panama hat shop which had a museum of the tools used to make the hats.Upstairs there was a coffee shop and we had a coffee and watched hummingbirds come to the feeders they have hanging outside.There were a couple of larger ones and a few very tiny ones.They were delightful to watch.

We have really enjoyed staying at our hostel here.Our room overlooks the river, Tomebamba.It is a narrow, shallow but very fast flowing river.We have taken many walks along it to find places to eat etc.This morning a woman did the washing down below our roon and then they laid it out on the grass to dry. We see stoves and fridges in a few shops but no washing machines, even though  we know they must be in some homes,probably in the wealthier ones.

There seems to be quite a bit of rejuvination going on here in the old part of the city. I think unesco  puts money in. We have really enjoyed walking along the riverbank and seeing the ruinsthere and the wonderful old stone bridge.

We have indulged in a couple of visits to the trendy modern icecream/cake shop in the main square.It is called Tutto Freddo and does a roaring trade, especially yesterday.Even Sister Mary.....was in getting an icecream! 

While I was at Mass Peter went to the flower market and bought me a gorgeous bunch of fresh flowers. Isn't he a sweetie! The flowers are really beautiful.

Tags: adventures

Comments

1

Tutti Freddo! Do they have links to the Cadbury factory? Or does Freddo have a local meaning?

  Trish Nov 20, 2007 10:54 PM

About petkat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.