Existing Member?

PETKAT Adventures 50 ish and loving it

safe in Cuenca

ECUADOR | Saturday, 17 November 2007 | Views [585] | Comments [1]

Hola from Cuenca.

Yes we did feel the quake the night before last, just as we were dozing off in our bed at Tren Dorado in Riobamba. The room shook for about 20 seconds and Peter was thinking he didn´t really know how many stories were above us and if we should go into the bathroom and if that would do any good anyway!But it stopped and we went to sleep. It was a quake all through Ecuador, 6.7 and the receptionist told us that there was no major damage and no deaths.When you go through the gigantic mountains it is amazing to think that it all moved!

We enjoyed a steam bath the last morning in Banos at our hotel, sitting in the little boxes with the towel around your neck.There were eucalyptus branches inside so it was a lovely aroma.There are gum trees in lots of areas and many plants we recognise from home.Here in Cuenca there seem to be Jacarandas in bloom.

We also say au revoir to a lovely American couple we met in the Galapagos whom we met up with again at Isla de Banos.We had some great get to gethers with them and hope we meet up again one day in the future.

We have had two days of much travel so it is good to stay put in Cuenca for a few days. We arrived late and went to a hostel recommended in LP but ended across the road. Very ordinary, but we had a good sleep. We have found a nice hostel down looking over the river which is very pretty so we will move to it.It is called Casa Del Rio.

We made our way from Banos to Riobamba on a good bus and then had a very early start on the train to Alausi.They do not allow you to ride on the roof any more as someone was either hurt or killed.In our carriage we had a big group of locals,adults supervising many kids,part of the way, then a big group of Norwegians got on. From Alausi you go on what they call The Devils Nose, El Nariz Del Diablo, ride down the mountain. The scenery was great.At one turn there was a huge rock that had fallen and was wedged between the two sides of mountains. Peter could get a photo of it on the way back as the train backs up the mountain, it can't turn.There were rocks on the tracks at times which were removed but we could not go to the bottom because the rocks ( from the earthquake were huge.The excursion ran very late as on the way the train dropped off loads of sleepers at different spots. We were at the station at 6, left at 7.15 and finished the ride about 3.30.Once again the workplace health and safety issues were interesting as the track was in need of work for sure.

There were a lot of us that then caught the bus to Cuenca. It was an awesome ride, at times above the clouds,looking across mountain ranges and down into valleys where you could not see the bottom.I can mention now that there is very little room for mistakes on the part of the bus driver, but he was very good and I felt pretty calm.It was Peter who sat at the window and he said the edge was very close sometimes!! He is always telling me that I have had a good life anyway!

We are looking forward to exploring Cuenca and about.

Tags: adventures

Comments

1

Kathryn, nice to know that after so many years of marriage, you've finally felt the earth move!

  Maureen Nov 20, 2007 8:52 PM

About petkat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.