Existing Member?

PETKAT Adventures 50 ish and loving it

Cruises from Puerto Ayora

ECUADOR | Thursday, 1 November 2007 | Views [640] | Comments [2]

We have done two day cruises from here and both were great.At first we thought our plan of having a land based stay here was unusual, but we have met many people here doing the same. One local suggested that there were three places to really try and visit....South Plaza, North Seymour and Bartolome. We were able to arrange the first two, but missed Bartolome. We were not disappointed with our outings.The fact that we had to drive to Itabaca Canal each time (45mins), was not a problem at all.

We went to South Plaza Island with about twenty people on the Santa Fe 2 which is a very well run tour.We went to North Seymour with a group of nine on Verito which was also good.

The days started out cloudy but it was fine, especially today ,when it turned magnificent and the sea and beaches were brilliant colours. South Plaza is volcanic rock with cacti and a creeper plant which in this dry season turns red. It is quite spectacular. North Seymour on the other hand has 2 types of bushes that are devoid of foliage for the dry.

On the Santa Fe as the guy filletted the large fish for lunch, all these frigate birds flew along side the boat, hoping for scraps.They are the pirates of the birds as they cannot get wet, as their feathers don´t have the oil to make them waterproof. So they rob the catch from other birds. Nice types, but magnificent in form and wonderful to watch, especially when the male fills up the bag under its beak.This we saw on NSeymour and some filled their bright red bag from their beak to the bottom of their tummy.The male builds a nest in the bush and sits there making himself look spectacular, saying to the female, look at me I am a great catch, and hopes she accepts him.We saw them in their nests today, with the chicks.

The walks around are about spotting whatever is there at the time.We were fortunate to see wonder after wonder. Now I know why Therese was saying she was jealous.

We watched blue footed boobies doing a courting dance and calling, a whistling sound for the males.These birds are wonderful fishermen, birds! and spot something in the water and dive in with a perfect 10 dive and pop back up again. Today we saw 5 birds do this together.

There were other birds and the bird watchers among the group were thrilled to see a red beaked tropic bird both nesting on the cliffs and two in flight.

We looked out over a cliff and there was a huge school of yellow finned sturgeon fish, so many that there were ripples on the top of the sea. And then a dozen Golden Rays were there too. 

We stopped to watch two land iguanas and then a huge colourful male ambled  out. The two males came closer and closer and then rushed at the group and ran through the legs of a young Portugese couple. They both nearly expired.Perhaps the iguanas thought that was good fun for the day.

There was wonderful snorkelling one day of these days. We saw many fish, a ray at rest and a group of small white tipped sharks inside  some rocks. Peter spotted a 2m shark today circling the rock he was on. Thank goodness he was not in the water. 

Tags: adventures

Comments

1

Don't know why he was worried - would have been as tough as old boots!

  Maureen Nov 3, 2007 5:25 PM

2

Sounds like a glorified biology excursion only lots more fun. Hope you're getting heaps of photos.

  Marg Williams Nov 3, 2007 8:51 PM

About petkat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.