Existing Member?

PETKAT Adventures 50 ish and loving it

Puerto Ayora

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 31 October 2007 | Views [436]

We left Isabela on the 6am boat. There was a full load of people making the trip. The sea was calmer than the trip on Wednesday and we made it into Puerto Ayora half an hour early. They was little bird life around on the sea at that early hour.

Peter found a wonderful hotel which looks straight out to sea.It is quite old and run by a family, and is a little more expensive than we usually go for, but we decided it was worth it. It is clean and gives a nice breakfast.More importantly, we look out over a magical view and beside us is a community of about 15 Galapagos sealions which keep us entertained whenever we are in. We think we are in heaven again. The hotel is called Estrella de Mar.

In the afternoon we walked to the Charles Darwin Research Station and were saddened to see Lonesome George, the last of the tortoises from Pinta Island. Even though they have given him two females from the closest species to him that they could find he will not mate with them. So when he goes, his species dies out.We did see tortoises up very close and are now aware of the many differences in the shells across the different species.

There was a magnificently coloured land iguana there. We learned today that shows he is ready to mate.

We spoke with a young man there from mainland Ecuador who is doing 12 months volunteer work.He has helped them with the web site and also gone on field work with them.

Yesterday it was pretty hot and we were feeling rather pooped so we spent some time at the computer. Here at this time the days start out overcast and then often clear around 2 pm. After an Almuerzo lunch at a goood restaurant called Chocolate, and a rest we headed out to Tortuga Bay.It is a short walk out of town to  the entrance and then a 2.5km walk to the beach,along a pathway through very dry, eerie bush, at this time of year, and that distance again along the beach to the bay. As the gates close at 6pm, we thought we had better step it out.

Tortuga Bay is a beautiful sandy beach, calm and warmer than the ocean.There were quite a few groups of people there enjoying a swim and playing on the sand. We had a nice swim after the walk.

We returned around some small cliffs and had a wonderful encounter with a blue footed boobie, which didn´t mind us being near it at all. Peter spotted a stingray swimming below.We got back with about 15 mins to spare but I think the man at the gate would have been waiting for some people for a while. Our legs were had it. We had a hamburger for tea!

We have found a good place to eat, called, Chocolate, and again eaten the economical set lunch,Almuerzo.It was about $3 for soup, stew & stew and then apple slice. Very good value for a budget.

Another wonderful day in the Galapagos Islands.

Next excursion is a day cruise to South Plaza Island.

  

Tags: adventures

About petkat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.