Existing Member?

Flight of the Commuter

Chaing Mai still...

THAILAND | Monday, 14 January 2008 | Views [748] | Comments [5]

Hello Again...

So, we are still in Chiang Mai - and due to leave tomorrow.  We waited a bit too long to book a small air conditioned mini van, so we will be taking the public bus early on in the AM from here to Chaing Rai, and then onward to the Thai/Laos Border. 

Sunday was quite lazy - but we did do something totally cool - and took Thai cooking lessons at a small outfit called BanThaiFood...the instructor was very friendly and funny and we had a great time cooking Sweet and Sour Soup, Pad Thai, Penang Pork Curry and Spring Rolls - awesome and we were sooo full by the time we left...and stumbled into the Sunday night market which was being held at the Wat just around the corner from us....much cheaper stuff than the regualar night market, this one is only held once per week and seems to be a night out for everyone.  Sensory overload...but I did manage to pick up a few small things....

Today was the first day we actually got up early (7:30)!  We had booked a tour here to go on a one day "trek"...well, it didn't end up being much of a trek - we hopped on an A/C'd mini van and headed south of town to a mountain - took about 45 min to walk up to the top (a bit out of breath) and see some of the hill-tribe people....so, if I had to hike up a path for 45min, how come there are vehichles up there? And TV?  Not really a whole lot to see other than folks trying to sell us stuff - and dressing up in traditional costume.  Next up, going to see another hilltribe village, just off the side of a road - where people actually weave scarves and stuff by hand...slightly cooler than the last place...and then off to see a waterfall...pretty - but small compared to great Canadian standards....and next was lunch - at a roadside cafe with one tour bus coming in after another...then off to ride an elephant...not sure how I feel about this whole adventure.  The elephants are kept chained to trees when they are not working and walk from station to station to get bananas from the tourists (us) riding them of which the tourist have to pay for each bundle of bananas that is touted to them at the stations...what a money grab and I am not sold that the elephants were treated in the most humane way possible...the keepers were obviously only in it for the $$$....last stop was the bamboo rafting...where Kiev lost his bamboo pole used to steer the raft along the way - it was quite funny to see and a nice ride...down a few little rapids...we did call it the "pooh, pooh" river because of the colour and the tubes running from the huts at the top of the hill into the river we were floating around in (we figure the locals get a laugh out of seeing all of the rafts full of tourists floating down in the nasty water)...

Anyways, after a long ride "home" and a quick shower, we headed out to forrage for food - street side pad thai for 2$ (for the both of us, and that included a sizable tip) was amazing - and then we found a great jewelry store which required us to take out more money.  As we had left our wedding rings in Canada, the plan was to replace them with something made locally - and did we ever - Kiev has this georgeous geometric, square shaped ring with different designs on each side and I have a looped banded ring (very pretty and cool too)...so we are happy - and now we are writing and e-mailing...another great day...

Anyways, I've got to go as we are going to make this an early night - due to an early bus tomorrow. 

Love Karrie (and Kiev!)

P.S. We love hearing from you via comments or e-mails...thanks for the hellos!

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

we stayed @ Bamboo G/H in Chiang Kong a good bet.

  stu Jan 14, 2008 11:53 PM

2

cool!! thanks for the update.... we are off in the morning!! love you chuck..

  dad Jan 16, 2008 10:45 AM

3

Hey Kiev and Karrie!
Glad to hear you are having a good time. Kiev, I loved your pic that you posted on Superfriends space. I am gonna forward it to the rest of the gang too. We all miss you

Have a blast. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. And def want some recipes from your learnings in the cooking class :P

  Pina Jan 17, 2008 12:10 PM

4

Sawadee Karrie and Kiev. Thank-you for directing me to your blog, I have enjoyed reading your entries (and pics) I am getting hungry from your food descriptions. Jove J

  Jeanette Montgomery Jan 19, 2008 12:36 PM

5

Hello from Mauritania! I love to hear all your adventure stories. Having a bit of an adventure here myself in the big ol desert. love and hugs lins

  Lindsay Jan 21, 2008 4:03 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.