Existing Member?

Preema works with street children in the YMCA My journey in India!!!!

Working life part 2

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 24 January 2009 | Views [1071] | Comments [6]

So as i was saying apart from my charity work, I have been lucky enough to go to VIP parties with my house mates as a few of the boys work for a music magazine. Yday we went for a club launch where we had our VIP area and free drinks all night. Crowd was good- mix of models and music industry people. Today I went to an open air music event which I also had a vip pass to so was in the first row. Met and took pics with one of my fav music artists- Karsh Kale.

Apart from that every other day my cousin Vishal has been taking me to some new bar or another so i cant complain!

Anyway thats all for now

Lots of love!

Comments

1

Hi Reeeeems!! It's Zegs here!

So I've finally had a chance to read your journals now that my exams have ended today!
It sounds like you're having a awesome experience out there..I'm quite jealous!
One of your stories about the child who offered to buy you lunch with his last coin, really touched me as well, as it's something you don't experience everyday.

Keep having a ball out there! I look forward to your next post...

Take care, I miss you lots,
Love, Rajiv xx

  Rajiv Jan 24, 2009 12:11 PM

2

Hey Preema - you sound so well settled out there already and seem to be enjoying your experience. Very gripping and touching to read abt yr working life especially abt the 10 year old boy's generosity. Yes, I can imagine how you feel abt the older boys as in India they do hv a habit of staring so I guess it can be a little difficult to handle so for the time being I guess stick to the younger ones as you said. Much more innocent and easier to handle and perhaps more in need of love and affection especially the young orphans. One no doubt does feel sorry for the older ones too with the kind of problems you describe. You already have a collection of pictures too and I am sure by the end of yr stay there they will all be so attached to you. Good job Preema - keep it up!

I am glad you are able to enjoy the social aspect of B'galore too and hv been able to catch up with Aparna and Vishal and at the same time also have wide range of opportunities through your house mates. When you get a chance do go to Taj West End - Coconut Lagoon - a great place. Give my love to Apu and Vishal and others when you see them. Keep us updated as we look f/w to the reading. Nothing very interesting to report fr here except all family members getting together tomorrow at our place and no doubt you will be missed! Take care and lots of love - Kirufui

  Kirufui Jan 24, 2009 1:40 PM

3

Hey Preem,

It sounds like your having so much fun, im so jealous! Glad your enjoying the work and building great relationships with the kids. Make the most of the treatments (soooooooo jealous) and partying too its a whole new experience. Make sure you take lots of pictures to show me when your back. Take Care, lots of love xxx

  Bhavisha Savani Jan 25, 2009 1:20 AM

4

Hi Preemlo

Good to read your interesting accounts. The spirit of the the 'poor' and their generosity in India always continues to surprise all that come in touch with them - its what is magical about India and its people and brings people from world over back again.

Am sure you do have your alert senses on, but as a overprotective uncle!! - just to warn you, do be on alert when going to these VIP events - do not let anyone mix ur drinks, like uk, dubai, guys in India at these events are also famous for spiking drinks of non desi girls. Had a few cases here in Dubai recently so just a small word of caution. Keep enjoying the great work and .....the partying!

  Nishuncle Jan 25, 2009 3:23 AM

5

Hello Premmy,

Wow reading and hearing about your experiences and how comfortable you have become in Bangalore makes it feel as though you have been been there for a year!

Reading of a young boy who has no materialistic pleasures, parents or money willing to give up his lunch to you was a very touching vision. These are the types of experiences, the little things, that make you content and act as a reminder to why you wanted to come to India to volunteer in the first place.

I enjoyed looking at the pics you've posted up, you can see hope, hunger and happiness in the eyes of those kids - makes you think doesnt it? Westerners may possess most material things and may be fairly wealthy, though they still lack hope, health, happiness.

Very jealous that you went to see Karsh Kale in concert without me! Glad you get the opportunity to see him live though, worked out perfectly in tune with your trip. I see that you are making the most of the party scene too, but as your uncle advised, don't have a false sense of security just because you've been comfortable for a week, India can be a dangerous place. Watch out for the guy's too.. :)

I will be talking to you before you next blog, though I always look forward to these descriptive notes - especially whilst I'm at work and it's miserable outside!

Dhavs.. x

  Dhaval Jan 25, 2009 4:00 AM

6

Great stuff.Looks like you have accomplished the best of both world.Fun and being with kids that you seem to be enjoying.Keep up the spirit and good health!
Hey once you acquire the taste for working with street kids the addiction is hard to kick off!!But lots of similar projects in London that you could easily lead and be paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!ha!
Sure the air in India is fab!!compared to the grey clouds.
Take care.
mala auntyxxx

  Hi Preemu Jan 27, 2009 9:54 AM

About pchande


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.