Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

05/12/2012 Wallaroo to Moonta Bay, Yorke Peninsula [18km / T214]

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 5 December 2012 | Views [351]

Today I decided to make my way to Moonta Bay on western side of the Yorke Peninsula where I`d heard about a caravan park on the foreshore, to have a bit of a rest by the seaside. There were lots of grain trucks on the Moonta Road running back and forward from farms to the grain silos at Wallaroo. A 20kph head wind and not much shoulder to ride on, coupled with the grain trucks made for a challenging ride. From a resident I learned that the crops grown here are barley, wheat, canola and peas, and that when there is a catastrophic fire warning farmers are not allowed to harvest in case a spark from the machinery causes a fire wiping out the entire crop and that of other farmers. 

The caravan park was indeed right on the foreshore with stunning views across the sea. I managed to get a camp site right near the water and the owner loaned me a deck chair so I could sit and take in the great views, after chatting to the neighbours. The weather was a lovely 20 degrees with a cool sea breeze.  

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.