Existing Member?

The world through my eyes If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

Melbourne to Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 23 January 2009 | Views [931] | Comments [8]

This is parliament building in Canberra.  All very exciting.

This is parliament building in Canberra. All very exciting.

Aahh, the last week or so in Melbourne was so much fun, it was a bit sad to leave in the end!

Prior to Pete's return, I explored all the quirky nooks of the city, went to the cinema, rode the free tourist bus, lost an entire afternoon in the museum not leaving 'til I was ushered out at closing time and spent a day in Geelong watching the bay criteriums from the comfort of the roadside whilst eating ice cream.  Much better than suffering with all the cyclists!

When Pete got back, we made the most of his confused body clock by spending a night out with our friend Dan, dancing and drinking too much sambuca.  The unfortunate consequences of which inspired me to repeat the words 'never again' for the entirety of the following day.

After that we spent the weekend on the beach, did some surfing and ate a family serving of fish and chips between us.

Next it was time to move on, so at 06:30 on a sunny Tuesday morning, I rode the bus to the beautiful Wilson's promontory and then on to a place called Lakes entrance, where I camped out for a few days and made the most of some big scary waves.

After those few days of solitude, the bus ride on up to Sydney was quite welcome, and made even better by the fact that there were only seven other travellers on the bus, so we ended up being quite a close little family.

Together we climbed Australia's highest mountain, salsa danced on the tables 'til the early hours and visited parliament house in Canberra before finally arriving in Sydney a couple of days later.  After a final evening together, we had a tearful farewell and went off in our own separate directions to continue with our adventures independantly. 

Now I'm here in Sydney, and just about coping with the contrasting lifestyle of the city after spending so long in the sticks, whilst eagerly anticipating the arrival of my friend Ellie who's been planning to visit Australia, so we're going to enjoy the adventure together for a while.  Hooray!

 

Comments

1

love you paul...

  mr james Jan 24, 2009 4:04 AM

2

Hello Mate.... Happy Australia Day.. should be a bit of a show in Sydney with the fire works and all, have a great time...

  PeteC Jan 26, 2009 9:59 PM

3

Hi my lovely. Am so enjoying your blog. Seems to me you've inherited the writing gene. How's about a book about your travels one day? I'll edit it for you ;)
Love and hugs.
xxxxx

  jo Jan 29, 2009 5:21 PM

4

Dear Pablo.

Consider this the closest I can get to your birthday hug. Hope you’ve had a good one.
Tim says you’re to drink one for him (“none of that Australian piss”, I think he means fosters), Helen sends big love, big Dave his regards and Neil is away in Scotland but I’m sure he’d have something witty to add.
Anyway keep having fun; your stories of these far-away places are a joy in these grey lunch breaks.

Happy birthday Mr P

Mr James and the TF massive

  tft Jan 31, 2009 4:25 AM

5

... and we'll have extra cakes for you on Monday. We're already up to our ears in cakes cos it was James' first anniversary yesterday, and it's Dave's 6th next Tuesday.

Hope you have a lovely day.
Big slobbery kisses from all here.
H

  helen Jan 31, 2009 4:27 AM

6

Happy Birthday!!!!

  Laura Feb 2, 2009 9:24 PM

7

Hi Paul, I know we are not too late to wish you a very Happy Birthday ! as it is still Monday here.
We have about 8 inches of snow right now and most kids and pets under 10 years old have never seen the countryside like this. It has been a really cold winter but we have still been able to BOF ride most weeks and enjoy a real winter.
We love your photos and stories, please continue and think about becoming a travel writer sometime.
Love from us both. P and A

  Peter and Anne Bradford Feb 3, 2009 10:48 AM

8

Happy birthday Paul.
Seems like the trip is becoming more fun, keep it going.
Enjoy the warm weather, i envy you.
Keep the photos coming.
love Richard & Shirley.

  Richard & Shirley Feb 4, 2009 11:21 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.