Existing Member?

The world through my eyes If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

Auckland. All's well that ends well.

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 28 January 2008 | Views [2626]

We found a park in the centre of Auckland which had lots of interesting trees to climb.

We found a park in the centre of Auckland which had lots of interesting trees to climb.

Aah....

Finally we can relax.

The road to Auckland was surprising and our final evening in the bus wasn't quite as I'd expected.  I 'spose it shouldn't have been a surprise to find that the sprawl began over fifty kilometres from the centre of the city, given that 3/4 of the population of New Zealand are here in Auckland it was bound to be that way.

We didn't manage to sleep in the bus given that we were so unexpectedly thrown into the depths of suburbia.  Instead we got the motor inn burn, and paid for a painfully overpriced and dirty room because we got really desperate and just had to sleep.

Beyond that, the experience was rather akin to that of America.  Feeling a little like a tiny amoeba amongst a million and one hugely imposing skyscrapers, I tentatively negotiated around the multitude of furious drivers and found a parking space, which only cost half of our entire savings fund.

Since then, we've sold Dixie for a little less than we'd hoped but it's lovely to not have to drive her round the city anymore.  Of course, ever since we sold her the phone's been ringing every five minutes with people interested in buying her.

Anyway, it's all done and dusted now and with nothing more to take care of, we can give some thought to what we'll get up to in Australia.

Thankfully a super friend of mine has come to save the day and, consequently, we have a transfer from Melbourne airport and a sofa to sleep on for a few nights.  Thanks Pete you're an absolute star!

I do have some Auckland pictures to show y'all but it'll have to wait I'm afraid.  The card reader came to a rather unfortunate end inside my backpack, so I'll put them on once I've bought a new one.

Better get to bed now.  We're flying to Australiashire tomorrow. Hooray!

Tags: I should have known better!

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.