Existing Member?

SheQuester

To Dream Again!

CHILE | Saturday, 27 February 2016 | Views [433] | Comments [1]

Time is flying! I am over halfway through my journey. Unbelievable!! 

Spanish classes are moving along nicely. I did not realize, or probably a better word is “remember” from my grammar days all of the different tenses for verbs. I am finding it easier to carry on a conversation (most of the time). At times, when I am not expecting a Chilean to speak to me and they start a conversation, I have that deer-in-the-headlight moment. Chileans speak VERY, VERY rapidly and then tend to run words together. I find it hard to hear in English when there is a lot of background noise. Funny thing!! I kept asking people to speak “mas despacio,” (more slowly) which is what I always said in other Spanish speaking countries. Well… here when you say, “Mas despacio, por favor,” you are asking them to speak more softly! Hmmm! I wondered why people gave me a funny look and seemed to speak more quietly when I said this. I now say, “Mas lento, por favor,” and most continue to speak just as rapidly as they did the first time. It is very difficult for them to speak slowly. Sometimes it takes a couple of times to get people to slow down, but rarely is it impossible to communicate.

My friend, Jackie, was here for three days the week after I arrived. We ate some great seafood and did a wonderful job at getting lost by taking a bus much further than we wanted to. I realized that we were getting into a neighborhood that didn’t look right. I asked someone on the bus and we were indeed headed somewhere, but not to where we had hoped. Our bus stop was probably two miles back. We immediately got off of the bus and started walking towards the beach. One can’t go wrong walking towards the water as one of the main streets follows the beach. We walked quite a distance until we arrived at a hotel and called a taxi!!

I am finding it very easy and inexpensive (less than sixty cents) to get around on the “micro” or local bus system. There is no schedule or route map and the drivers drive VERY fast as they are all trying to beat each other to the next stop to pick up passengers. The more passengers they get, the more money they make. It is a little unnerving at times, but one does get used to it.

The lifestyle is much more relaxed here. Many still practice the tradition of siestas. Some of the smaller businesses are closed for two hours in the afternoon. Fresh produce is very inexpensive. All of the berries have been in season and have been superb!

I am finding if very difficult to find the words to give justice to my experience and time in South America. I have loved Latin American culture for a very long time. After spending time in Peru and Chile, I love it even more. I know I am truly blessed beyond words to be living out a dream I have had for a number of years.

As I reflect on the time leading up to my departure to South America, I remember that desire in my heart, the beckoning that could not be quenched. My desire to experience Latin America culture, really experience the culture. Not for just a few days or a week, but longer. The desire to learn the language. Feeling inadequate trying to communicate with Spanish speakers and ending with smiles because that is the only thing that could be communicated. I remember that feeling when I boarded the plane and headed off by myself. Thinking to myself, “What am I doing?” Knowing though, that there was no turning back. Praying for God’s favor and protection, opportunities to share His love with others. Not knowing exactly what I would experience or who I would meet.

It’s almost as if God had to blow off the dust so I could see clearly. So that I could dare to dream again. I love to read Ephesians 3:20. Without a doubt, I can say that He has done “exceedingly abundantly” above all that I ever thought or could have asked. In my last post I quoted Proverbs 16:9, “A man’s mind plans his way [as he journeys through life], But the Lord directs his steps and establishes them.” (Amp). Most of us make plans for our future. Mine will be penciled in for I know who directs it, if I’m willing to erase my plans for the best plans. 

Chow!

Comments

1

Pat, enjoyed skyping and hearing you and Dan sharing an experience and quality time. You need this and you and Dan need it together. With any luck, I'll see you back in montrose
Luv ya

  Your bro in law Mar 1, 2016 5:10 PM

About pattyrae


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.