Existing Member?

SheQuester

Birthdays Peruano Style

PERU | Monday, 25 January 2016 | Views [668] | Comments [1]

Granddaughters, Daniella and Nadia with Señora Olinda

Granddaughters, Daniella and Nadia with Señora Olinda

Saludos! 

Yesterday, I had the privilege to be a part of the birthday celebration for the matriarch of the family whom I live with. Grandma Olinda turned a young eighty-six years old yesterday. I say “young” because she can outdo any of us. She has a lot of stamina and spunk at her age!!

The birthday celebration began on Saturday. The home was filled with 10-12 of Señora Olinda’s close female friends and family. This was the “girls day” party. They visited for hours, ate lunch, sang to her and truly seemed to enjoy each other’s company. There were two cakes to celebrate the occasion. The cakes or “tortas,” as they are called here, are not very sweet and usually involve some type of cream filling or jello. 

Yesterday, after a lite breakfast, I went to church with Rosanna, one of the two sisters in the home. We left around 9:45 a.m. and family was already arriving for the birthday celebration. When we arrived home after church the home was filled with family. They were eating appetizers of cheese, sausages and olives. 

Right after we arrived, dinner was served. I was asked to join Señora Olinda and some of the family at the table and many others were seated in chairs in the front room. Señora Olinda prayed and her daughter and granddaughter began serving. First, they served a cold square of chopped chicken and vegetables layered between pureed potatoes. It was very tasty! Then up came the plates and out came a slightly sweet baked dish with eggs, ground beef, and vegetables with a distinct taste of anise. With each bite I took, I discovered a different flavor. Both of these dishes have a Peruano name and they filled a dessert plate. They were by no means small. By this time, I’m actually past full and I’m starting to become a little uncomfortable, as I am already past full. I was thinking the torta would be served next. Lo and behold, a plate is served with a small salad and piece of beef steak! I succumbed to my common sense and stopped eating, knowing there would still be cake at some point. AND here comes the cake. But wait, there’s two cakes!! Everyone sang happy birthday in Spanish and then I listened as they sang other songs to her. I tried to upload a video with the singing, but the program wouldn't allow it. The picture wasn’t very good because it was a little dark, but you could hear the love in all of their hearts for this beautiful woman.

At this point, I felt like I wanted to roll into bed for a siesta. I visited for a bit and then went upstairs to my room. I am discovering that it is very tiring to constantly have to process words in Spanish and then attempt to answer in a way that makes sense. Combine this with too much to eat and my speech became even slower than usual. I can tell my vocabulary and grammar are improving, but I’m also finding it difficult to remember words in English, let alone in Spanish. 

I found myself in the middle of a “power nap” when I hear “Feliz Cumpleanos” being sung again (Rosanna told me they would sing it again later). I jumped out of bed and ran downstairs where they were all standing in a circle around Señora Olinda, in the dark, singing and holding another torta with a lit candle. They had also served small sandwiches with ham or chicken salad. Throughout the day they also served sodas and Inca Cola, which is the soda from Peru. Inca Cola looks like Mountain Dew and tastes a little like Mountain Dew with vanilla flavoring. 

It sounds like this day was just about food. There was a lot of food served, but it was much more than that. It was a day filled with the outpouring of love and admiration from everyone towards Señora Olinda. There is such a strong family bond here and the outward demonstration of affection for family is very touching and authentic. Señora Olinda’s son is a pastor and right after he walked into the home, he stopped and held his mother’s head closely with both hands and sweetly prayed a blessing over her. Fabiola, one of the sisters who lives in the house, shared with me that birthday celebrations used to last five days! Wow! Wanna move to Peru?!? 

I went to my room after 10:00 p.m. feeling very blessed to be invited to share in this beautiful day! There was so much genuine love and respect demonstrated throughout the day. I know that this much love and affection isn't shared in every family here, but wouldn't it be wonderful if this was the norm across the world?

Rosanna shared with me this morning that the last family left at midnight. Señora Olinda stayed up until the very end with more energy than you can imagine. She was beautiful and radiant throughout the day. She certainly outlasted me!

Chow!
Pat

(I posted a few pictures from the party in the photo gallery)

 

Comments

1

Now that is what I want to feel at that age! Woo Hoo. And I love that they were all together singing, food, praying & just loving on each other... LOVE every part of it... Glad you got to enjoy the moment!

  Stepanie Sales Jan 28, 2016 12:40 PM

About pattyrae


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.