Existing Member?

SheQuester

Sweet Good-Bye

PERU | Thursday, 4 February 2016 | Views [718] | Comments [3]

My Friend Ricardo

My Friend Ricardo

Tomorrow is my last day in Lima. I can’t believe how quickly the time has passed. I have learned a tremendous amount in a very short time and I have met some of the most incredible and interesting people from all walks of life, ages and countries. By far, the one who has touched my heart the most is the first friend I met here, my friend, Ricardo.

 As I was walking back to my home stay today, Ricardo was sitting on the bench in the plaza where I always find him when I walk home. As usual, he greeted me and patted the seat beside him and asked me to sit down. I sat down beside him for one last chat before I leave tomorrow. I love to visit with him. He always asks me about school. We talk about our famiies and he always corrects my Spanish with a warm smile, but firm voice. 

Today, Ricardo shared more about his childhood and where he grew up in Peru. As he was sharing, I saw a man that walked through time with a very strong faith, loved his wife and family, and lived out his passion to teach dance. But age holds no prejudice. As he spoke, I saw the deep creases in his brow and face marking the years gone by, the difficulties of life, the pain of losing his wife, etc. I saw the dark bruises all over his hands and legs. But I also saw a man with incredible joy as he shared his passion to teach tango, waltz, salsa, and other dances whose names I can’t remember.

There is a quote by an unknown author stating, “You can dance anywhere, even if only in your heart.” Ricardo may not be dancing with his feet anymore, but no doubt he is dancing. His smile is contagious and his laugh so genuine. I appreciated his ability to laugh at my Spanish in a way that I wasn’t afraid to speak it, even if incorrectly.

As we were talking one last time, various people walked by and he would greet them and then tell me a little about them. He, no doubt, spends hours sitting on this bench greeting people and thinking about things from years gone by. After he greeted one woman, his eyes stared into the distance as he shared that she was a friend of his wife who always came with her rosary to pray with his wife. He shared how much this woman meant to him during the period when his wife was ill and then passed. He didn’t have to share the depth of his love for his wife or the pain of losing her, as it was obvious left unsaid.

As I got ready to leave, Ricardo asked me if I would ever be coming back to Lima. I shared that I didn’t know, but that it is possible I may return next year for four more weeks of class. I told him that maybe we can sit on this bench together again and he can correct my Spanish! “Only God knows.” he responded. Yes, only God knows. As I left I prayed with him in Spanish that God would bless him. He stood up and gave me the traditional greeting or farewell peck on the cheek and I continued my walk home.

As I was walking, I reflected on what I would have missed if I wouldn’t have taken the time to sit on that bench with him the first day I arrived in Lima. If I hadn’t tried to carry on a conversation. I did my best with the tiny bit of Spanish I knew at that point. I knew this was one of those divine appointments in life that I would always remember. I walked away with tears in my eyes, but I was dancing in my heart.

Comments

1

SO glad you got to say good-bye to your sweet friend and that we get to see his picture. What a great tale, Patty! Pretty sure I speak for all SheQuester fans when I say Keep 'Em Coming. Still proud of you & praying for more opportunities to come your way in this here adventure. Miss you, friend.

  Karen Kay Feb 5, 2016 1:18 PM

2

I guess as Karen puts it I'm a "sequester fan" because every few days I love coming to this site, checking for updates, reading your stories and having a better idea how to pray for you. It's a joy and honor to pray for you during this amazing adventure, and it will be so good to hear from you when you get back, but I'm praying you're able to enjoy each day to the fullest while this season lasts- because time does go so quickly! Can't wait to see what blessings and ministries God has for you next. Be abundantly blessed, enabled by His grace, surrounded by His Presence, strengthened and taught by His Spirit!

  Tiffany Feb 6, 2016 2:58 AM

3

what a great memory, and so happy that you also have a wonderful photo to look back on :-) You're looking great, Pat, by the way!

  Karen Schum Feb 19, 2016 8:00 AM

About pattyrae


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.