Existing Member?

first backpacking trip

First couple days in Tokyo

JAPAN | Thursday, 5 November 2009 | Views [398] | Comments [1]

So we have finally arrived in Japan.  What a long flight!  Matt was waiting at the airport for us when we arrived which was so nice.  He navigated us to JGH hostel in Nishi Kawaguchi.   After getting used to the time difference we went to the Imperial Palace checked out their gardens and walked around the whole area.  MOst the time we spend eachday is on the subway.  With Matt here is seems like we get to each place relatively easy.  Its very overwhelming and there are so many stops its hard to find which one you want to connect with.  After the Imperial palace we went to electronic city which had tons of gaming places and electonics.  Whats funny here is everyone is into ninendo and cartoons.  Even guys dressed in the nicest suits are seen in arcades.  They even have girls here that are dressed in little cute outfits and you pay them to play games with you.  Strange I know.  After that we went to the Asakusa shrine.  It was really beautiful and cool to see ancient japanese structures.  Plus it had a market with tons of little trinkets and what not.  We even spotted a little geisha walking around.  After that we called it a day.  The next day we got to a late start.  Matt is lazy lol.  The first thing we went to was Harijuko street.  Where Gwen stefanis asian chicks are from.  Its a place where you find the most outthere styles and its a trendsetting spot in Tokyo.  Also lots of good shopping. After we were given several wrong directions we finally made out way to the Meiji Jinju Shrine, again really beautiful Japanese structures.  Dedicated to one of the emporers of Japan who started to bring in influence of the west.  There I wrote on a tablet for the priests/monks whatever they are called to do a blessing on one of my prayers.  So that was cool.  We wanted to do an onsen (Japanese bath) but after a few hours of trying to track it down we were informed it was taken down.  Which was really disappointing after trying to find it all that time.  My feet were killing me so after we didn't stay long when we got to roppongi and shinjuko.  Which are basically the newyork style times square area for Tokyo.  We just walked around long enough to see all the lights and buildings.  When I got home I was so tired I crashed as soon as I hit the pillow.  STacey and I are both sick too so that is really making it difficult to go go go.  Its really cold here too and again I packed poorly.  So I'm freezing and sick.  boo hoo poor me.  Today we are planning to go to Disney Tokyo.

 

Comments

1

Jo, I love that you are giving updates on here, I will be reading all of them! So excited for you, and Im already insanely jealous! Sounds like you are having such a good time, Im very happy for you! Are you remembering your Vietnamese words? I think by the time you get there you will be very confused with all the lovely languages and dialects you will no doubt be exposed to! Have fun, be safe and update often please. Love you lots!

  Danielle Nov 6, 2009 3:31 AM

About parisephone


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.